American made rifle

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
You are right about factory ammo (especially Wby brand), it really puts a hurt on the wallet.

I have found that it takes a little more tinkering, especially seating depth, loading for Wby rifles. Took me quite a bit longer to find a good shooting load for my .257 & .300. The Wby rifles have a lot of freebore. Once I got the mix right, they are great shooters.
Do you have a pet .340wby load you'd like to share? also if there's a certain OAL?
Thanks.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Do you have a pet .340wby load you'd like to share? also if there's a certain OAL?
Thanks.
While I'm not CC I do have a pet load for the .340.

88 grains of RL22
Barnes 225 TTSX
Fed 215
OAL of 3.7"
Norma case

This clocks out of my .340 at 3000 fps and will shoot sub moa at 200 yards. The Barnes #3 manual shows this to be a max load but I have not seen any pressure signs with it. I've hunter with this load from Colorado high country to the low lands of South Africa. I haven't played around with the bullet seating since I am satisfied with what I have.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I just picked up an American made Weatherby Mark V. They are made in the great country of California ;) Maybe you would like the 7mm Wby Mag? Have them add the Accubrake from the factory. That'd be a deadly elk/mule deer backcountry rifle and caliber. I just picked up the 6.5-300 Wby Mag but that hot rod is not for everyone. Those 7mm ballistics are pretty tough to beat.
Weatherby is moving to the great country of Wyoming.

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Were I given a hunting rifle do-over, I'd buy a 22" barreled .280 Rem and never need another rifle. Had Remington introduced the .280 Rem in its 700 line of rifles and loaded it to its optimum, the 7MM Rem Mag probably wouldn't have become as popular as it has. There's magic in .284 caliber bullets. They have superb sectional density. A 175 grain 7MM Rem Mag bullet will penetrate with the best of 'em, or better.

I have a double-edged Sako 7MM Rem Mag with a 24" barrel. It's the most accurate rifle I've ever fired. It has moderate recoil. But its bad edge cuts deep. It weighs 10+ pounds. Carrying it at Rocky Mountain altitude is not fun.

I've fired big cartridges from benches. They are not fun. I've seen well put-up dudes experiencing difficulty firing .300 Win Mag and bigger cartridges from benches. Big cartridges have a way of creating bad habits, flinching being most notable.

Based upon what I've seen, my guess is the 7MM Rem Mag is the most powerful rifle that most hunters can comfortably shoot. I do know that the 7MM Rem Mag will drop the largest elk in its tracks.

I can succinctly wrap this up by writing that I had forgotten what I had learned in high school biology. Nothing living remains in that condition without topside oxygenated blood flow. For humans, it's about 8 seconds. Metabolism will determine seconds a big game animal with terminated topside blood flow will remain upright. My guess is big game with slowest metabolism will hit dirt in less than a minute after topside oxygenated blood flow is terminated. It does not matter what destroys an animal's oxygenated blood flow. What does matter is that its brain is deprived of it. Hence, a .30-30 Win will kill bull elk just as dead as any mega-magnum as long as a bullet fired from it terminates oxygenated blood flow. Every hunting season, arrows at ~300 FPS kill the largest big game.

I could put to very good use a .308 Win carbine. I do love fast handling, lightweight rifles. And the .308 will kill just as dead as any other cartridge. In honesty, though, a lightweight .308 Win firing 180 grain bullets seems to have the identical recoil of a heavy 7MM Rem Mag.

Put a bullet from any cartridge where it needs to go and get ready for hard work.