Always check your trailers safty chains!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Every year or so you see this type of thing happening. It usually happens on bridges since on mountain roads the truck and trailer usually just ends up at the bottom.

A interesting thing is that where I live there is a dip in the road about 100 feet away from a intersection. Quite often I will hear a very large band and then something being dragged down the road. Quite often it is someone pulling a trailer with too big of a hitch for the ball or they didn't latch the hitch down onto the ball. When they hit that dip the trailer will bounce and off it will come, sometimes the trailer will be dragged by the safety chains and at times it will come close to running into my yard but it usually will stop when it hits the curb and gutter on the side of the street.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
that canyon they were hanging over is about 70 miles from my home and it is a loooooooong way down.

it is the canyon evil kenevil tried to jump years ago and failed . then his son was going to try it a few years ago but I don't recall if it was cancelled or if he made the jump.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I dont know how it all went down for this guy but I do know that I weld the nut onto the bottom of all of my personal trailer hitches.

About 15 years ago I was driving down the road with a buddy who was pulling a stump-grinder behind his truck and the nut came off the ball while we were turning left and the stump grinder went right and flipped 10 times out through a field.

I remember mentioning the lack of safety chains when he was hooking it up. "Ya, its all good as long as you got lights"

Honestly, I am glad there were no safety chains because the truck was under-powered for the task at hand...no telling whta would have happened if we had been hooked to the thing lol

Good times.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Of all places for it to happen huh? Bet he was gawking down when it did, Hard not to look down that canyon. Been over many times.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
heard a story yesterday about a family who stopped at a park next to this canyon. the little girl threw a stick for their dog ,which went over the edge and the dog leapt after it.

the father exclaimed ," doggone!" o_O:rolleyes:;)