Alberta Mule Deer- Experiences and advice?

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
My 73 year old father, who has been very active and is in good shape for his age has expressed a desire to get "a really good mule deer". Now he isn't going to be able to climb to 12,000 feet in CO or WY. He isn't going to pay 5 figures to hunt the Jicarilla Res. I thought Alberta might be an option for him. He is a rifle hunter

As I understand all aliens must hunt Alberta with a guide?

Are tags weapon specific?

Are the tags through a draw or OTC?

Any issues with unscrupulous outfitters to avoid? Recommendations appreciated.

What Geographic areas hold Mule Deer vs Whitetails?

Can we bring back meat into US?

Are most of the outfitter Landowners operating on their own land or outfitters on public and private ground?

When do we have to apply or is there an outfitter allotment of tags?

lostinOregon

Mar 12, 2013
Canby OR
I go to Alberta hunting mule deer often. I finder it much safer than Mexico. Tags are allocated to the outfitter so no draw is needed. I hunt the Peace River area with Bearpaw outfitters, Scott Taylor. A perfect hunt for older folks. Mostly flat and all spot and stalk. He is booked for this year and has a few openings left for 2016.

Rich

Last edited:

lostinOregon

Mar 12, 2013
Canby OR
You will get export permits for everything if you have a good outfitter. The land is either private or crown (govt). Most outfitters have permission for a ton of private. Most just make a phone call once you locate a big buck if they don't already have permission.