Alberta hunt "travel"

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Going to Alberta from kansas up thru the Dakotas. Crossing two different boarders Saskatchewan then alberta to grand prairie. I hate to travel that far without a gun but seems like lot of trouble to carry one especially a pistol.
I've never been to another country but have a passport. I have clean record as im a towboat pilot with merchant mariner credential and Twic card.
I guess question is what all do I need to know expense wise, travel, and is there away to know if you'll be turned down at border? Kinda like pre approval I guess you'd say. I'm going on a bow hunt so really don't need a gun other than peace of mind traveling.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
First...you CANNOT take a handgun into Canada. There are exceptions for competitive shooters, but mostly a no-no. You need a permit to take a long gun into Canada. Google traveling to Canada with a gun.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
When you do get your permit DO NOT SIGN IT until someone at the border has you sign it. Very simple but like CC said No Hand guns in Canada!

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
What I was thinking best not even take a gun cause I don't want any trouble.
Just curious if anyone had any trouble with being pulled over there or had an accident. Hopefully trip goes smoothly.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I've had crossings for hunting into Canada where I got asked a couple questions, location, duration, outfitter name, and one crossing for hunting where I had to go wait in a little room while my rig was completely searched. They unloaded it pretty much all the way. The funny part is the full search was a hunting trip where I did not have a firearm. I'd check your rig for any loose ammo that may have fallen out of a range bag, I suspect there would be issues if a search found a pistol round.

I had no problems taking rifles across, but I had all the right forms. Both sides of the border were staffed by courteous folks. I've had times the USA wanted to inspect my game closely, it has been 5-6 years, so I'd check for any requirements there too. Once I was in CA, was just like driving in the states, follow the rules and I was left alone.

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Thanks Tim!
Definitely need to clean truck out cause they're is bullets everywhere lol. I was afraid they would search truck and unload it cause it'll be packed completely full of gear and that'll be a job!! Hopefully they can fit it back in the truck lol.
Guess I'll have it detailed and neatley packed and clearly clean for them.
Glad to hear the drive was like the states. Bet its beautiful!!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I would suggest you get the total package of import regs. There are Canadian rules on how much alcohol you can bring with you for example. I would also declare on entry any expensive electronics, optics and jewelry. The reason for this is to keep from paying duty on expensive items on returning to the US that US Customs might think you bought in Canada. Also get US import regs. The situation that Tim had on a search when entering Canada can also occur when returning to the US. A lot depends on the particular agent you are dealing with. I used to travel to Mexico a lot, up to 50 times a year, sometimes driving as many as 20 times a year. I was part owner in a 100 space rv park in Cabo for 10 years and had to travel there on business a lot. We entering and leaving by vehicle, you just never knew what to expect.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks Tim!
Definitely need to clean truck out cause they're is bullets everywhere lol. I was afraid they would search truck and unload it cause it'll be packed completely full of gear and that'll be a job!! Hopefully they can fit it back in the truck lol.
Guess I'll have it detailed and neatley packed and clearly clean for them.
Glad to hear the drive was like the states. Bet its beautiful!!

Good luck up there, sounds like fun. I don't have first hand experience, but have family in AK that travel through quite often. The spent pistol round thing, can cause a big delay! Oh, and they take stuff out of your rig, but they won't be the ones putting it back in:). Over all, it's been no big deal though, as long as the paperwork is in order.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Grant,

Biggest thing they are looking for at the border beside all the highly illegal stuff is foodstuffs and plants. Lot of guys try to bring back saplings, home made food from mom. All the foodstuffs need to be pre packaged. Game meat is fine. All the horror stories I've heard was over plants/vegetables and loaves of bread mom made. Link below that has everything you need in a checklist format.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/documentation-needed-to-cross-border/

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I've been going to Canada for 50 years and it all depends on the border agent as to how you'll be treated. One trip may find a very nice customs agent and the next trip you'll meet Canada's #1 A-hole. My worst crossing experience was when me and my brother were coming back from Alaska in 1982. He had been working in the Canadian bush at a fly-in camp as a fish guide and did not get any mail for 3 months. When were returning from AK after DIY goat (no you didn't need a guide for goats back then) and caribou hunts we
were stopped at the Yukon border because he didn't have a proof of insurance card (no mail) for his car. Despite repeated calls from his insurance agent and a U.S. Sheriff's Dept. to the RCMP explaining that we were covered and all was legal we were still turned back. We lost 1/2 of our caribou meat to spoilage because we could not make it to a locker plant in Whitehorse.

So make sure you have a vehicle insurance card...and a passport that isn't going to expire in the next couple months and has at least 2 empty pages...and a CAFC 909 form if bringing a gun...and no past criminal history...and no dui's for the past 10 years. Answer the border agents questions but do not volunteer any more information than asked. Don't buy anything in Canada unless you need to as everything is very expensive although the current exchange rate is very good and will help offset the costs. I once bought a 12 pack of Budweiser in northern Maine for $6 and it was $23 in Canada.

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
I've been going to Canada for 50 years and it all depends on the border agent as to how you'll be treated. One trip may find a very nice customs agent and the next trip you'll meet Canada's #1 A-hole. My worst crossing experience was when me and my brother were coming back from Alaska in 1982. He had been working in the Canadian bush at a fly-in camp as a fish guide and did not get any mail for 3 months. When were returning from AK after DIY goat (no you didn't need a guide for goats back then) and caribou hunts we
were stopped at the Yukon border because he didn't have a proof of insurance card (no mail) for his car. Despite repeated calls from his insurance agent and a U.S. Sheriff's Dept. to the RCMP explaining that we were covered and all was legal we were still turned back. We lost 1/2 of our caribou meat to spoilage because we could not make it to a locker plant in Whitehorse.

So make sure you have a vehicle insurance card...and a passport that isn't going to expire in the next couple months and has at least 2 empty pages...and a CAFC 909 form if bringing a gun...and no past criminal history...and no dui's for the past 10 years. Answer the border agents questions but do not volunteer any more information than asked. Don't buy anything in Canada unless you need to as everything is very expensive although the current exchange rate is very good and will help offset the costs. I once bought a 12 pack of Budweiser in northern Maine for $6 and it was $23 in Canada.
Wow 50 years!! Bet you could tell some stories!! I could only imagine how good the hunting was back then!! Man I'd love to go to Alaska for a month hunt fish and camo the whole time!!! Do you have to have a guide in Alaska or can a person go diy if drive up there?

What is it you speak of at least two pages? I assume your previous destinations are wrote in your passport? I've got a passport about 3 years old but never have used it.

Do you need a permit or anything for archery equipment being a bow or crossbow?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Last time I crossed, 7/2014, I did not use a passport either way... I had let my passport expire and needed to make a quick trip across. I called both customs shops first, and the Canadians took a drivers license and birth certificate. I checked with the USA guys before crossing to CA w/o passport, all he said was we are not in the business of keeping Americans out. Got right back in, as did my buddy with no passport. Go figure.