Alaska Fishing Trip

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Hey guys

Im looking for info on a Alaska fishing trip for Halibu, Salmon and crabbing.

My plans would be to take the wife for a 10 day trip to a place we can stay in a nice hotel with restaurant, bars, things to do after fishing.

Ketchikan has come up in conversation but might be alittle to city like?

Can we fish for most of the popular species at the same time we can set crab pots?

Thanks for the help.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Hey guys

Im looking for info on a Alaska fishing trip for Halibu, Salmon and crabbing.

My plans would be to take the wife for a 10 day trip to a place we can stay in a nice hotel with restaurant, bars, things to do after fishing.

Ketchikan has come up in conversation but might be alittle to city like?

Can we fish for most of the popular species at the same time we can set crab pots?

Thanks for the help.
No experience myself but sounds like a cool adventure. Im sure our Alaska native AK will have some info and CC might even have a little info.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I'd look hard at Kodiak. It's an interesting town, good restaurants, museum and some roads to drive. But, that said, I probably wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. Splitting your time between a couple towns...Kodiak and Seward for instance.
That sounds like good advice
Thanks for reaching out. I’ll contact you tomorrow

Reactions: AKaviator

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My wife and I spent a month in Alaska in 2019 and the advice from Bob is spot on. There are so many different types of fishing available that you will need to pick out what you want to fish for in advance and plan for that. The salmon runs last all summer for different species and different areas. In Kodiak you can fish for halibut, salmon & bottom fish in the same day if you pick the right time. This is also true of the Ketchikan area including some great island fishing lodges. We fished Ninilchik and Homer and should have fished Seward. We also had some great low tides and dug wonderful huge razor clams. We had a summer 2020 trip booked to a lodge on Prince of Wales Island for halibut. salmon and bottomfish that we had to cancel because of Covid. Hope to go back in 2021.

Like I said, timing is the key. State regs are different for different parts of the state for timing and restrictions on halibut, lingcod and bottomfish. The same goes for salmon with the timing of the runs also important. Kings have several early runs and silvers generally run late in the season, with a number of other species spread throughout the summer.

I am no expert, but do have some experience, PM me if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ikeepitcold

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
my brother hired a boat out of homer a few years ago for a halibut trip. he said the captain was a hungover , class a ,ahole until he caught a 162 lb halibut .(bigest catch for the boat that year) then he was suddenly his best friend.

everyone on the boat caught their limit that day so I guess the ahole knew what he was doing. :D

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
Use to Guide out of Ninilchik AK in Cook Inlet for Halibut and Salmon, I would also suggest SE Alaska or Even British Columbia(if Covid allows). You may want to Have some fresh water or inlets available if you cant get out on rough weather days.. Most SE locations have sheltered bays and inlets that provide Salmon, Rock fish and Crab ect, when you cant get to the Halibut. Also look into best times for the species you want and plan around that. Not recommending Cook because it can be a butt kicker when you start with 3lbs of weight just to hold bottom and go up to 8lbs.(they use ounces down south) Seen a lot of people kiss the ground when we got back to the beach on the rough days!

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Take a look on web for Angling Unlimited in Sitka. We have been going there for 6 seasons and they do a great job on the salt for halibut, salmon and bottom fish. Small town with some decent food and activities but then we are only there for 5days. Could split that trip with another area if you wanted.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Dont go to Petersburg too early in the spring. This much I can tell you first hand. lol

I caught one small fish in 8 hours of fishing. Everyone was saying how bad the fishing was. 2 weeks after we left the fishing was great according to the outfitter.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
When I was there in 2019, we went mid May to Mid June. Wanted to avoid the summer crowds (started coming in as we left), not get totally eaten up by the bugs and catch the first king runs. I also wanted to be there for a big minus tide for clamming. We accomplished everything. Sleeping bear was right about Ninilchik as we were blown out one day and our outfitter trailered down to Homer to fish.

The trip we had to cancel for 2020 was in mid August for the Silvers. Probably won't get back until 2022.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I think the only crab nonres can catch are Dungeness so that may limit some areas. I liked the looks of foxtail because a group of 4 gets the whole lodge and boat for their stay, no having to worry about what the other group wants to fish for that way.