Alaknak Tent

Barnesc6

Jan 9, 2017
Hey gents-
I borrowed a 12 x 12 Cabela’s alaknak tent for a 3rd season colorado trip this year. We packed in using horses. I’m looking for any similar options out there (preferably larger than 12x12... around 14x14 would be great)... I’m looking for as light weight a tent as possible and something with a stove jack. I would go with a wall tent but they just weigh too much. I’d like wall tent style though just like the alaknak. Not a fan of tipi tents because of all the lost room.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Th
Hey gents-
I borrowed a 12 x 12 Cabela’s alaknak tent for a 3rd season colorado trip this year. We packed in using horses. I’m looking for any similar options out there (preferably larger than 12x12... around 14x14 would be great)... I’m looking for as light weight a tent as possible and something with a stove jack. I would go with a wall tent but they just weigh too much. I’d like wall tent style though just like the alaknak. Not a fan of tipi tents because of all the lost room.
This is a tough tent to beat. It’s what I run and I haven’t found anything better for the overall package it offer. Price, weight, reliability etc.
Have you considered this and adding the vestibule? For the times you need the extra space?
2A3C1E08-D87C-4765-8C1E-5A089C04244E.jpeg

Reactions: Barnesc6

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
$300 Walmart tent. 10x12 Did okay w buddy heater on gas grill tank. Excellent above 15 degrees, tough subzero.

They sell w wood stove jack now. You would get yourself out of tent IMHO.

Easy up and down. Say 100# I'm guessing but I'm also 50.

Had 4 Cots. 1 on back wall, 3 cross center.

Did have condensation inside tent due to poly coating on inside. Handled 20, maybe 25 mph winds well. Ceiling was froze in am w heater on low. Inside didn't show breath.

We used 4 days in real cold (17 to 25 degrees high, teens to subzero low) weather, 2 in good (high 20s low, 50s high). Hotel next 4 days, picked tent up on day 7, no issues.

1030190705.jpg

Barnesc6

Jan 9, 2017
Th

This is a tough tent to beat. It’s what I run and I haven’t found anything better for the overall package it offer. Price, weight, reliability etc.
Have you considered this and adding the vestibule? For the times you need the extra space?
View attachment 29095
Yep I think I’d have to go with the vestibule attachment to get a little more room out of it. How much does the vestibule weigh? Can’t find online

Barnesc6

Jan 9, 2017
$300 Walmart tent. 10x12 Did okay w buddy heater on gas grill tank. Excellent above 15 degrees, tough subzero.

They sell w wood stove jack now. You would get yourself out of tent IMHO.

Easy up and down. Say 100# I'm guessing but I'm also 50.

Had 4 Cots. 1 on back wall, 3 cross center.

Did have condensation inside tent due to poly coating on inside. Handled 20, maybe 25 mph winds well. Ceiling was froze in am w heater on low. Inside didn't show breath.

We used 4 days in real cold (17 to 25 degrees high, teens to subzero low) weather, 2 in good (high 20s low, 50s high). Hotel next 4 days, picked tent up on day 7, no issues.

View attachment 29109
Good to know. I had no idea Walmart carried walk tents!

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Yep I think I’d have to go with the vestibule attachment to get a little more room out of it. How much does the vestibule weigh? Can’t find online
Not 100% sure on the weight. It’s not bad though, for what you get. It’s a single bar that goes across the middle. The rest simply attaches to the main tent.

If you’re packing the tent in, you can also shave weight by eliminating the side wall poles, ropes and stakes of the main tent. It still works just fine, assuming a horrendous storm doesn’t pass through. For me, this shaves a ton of weight because I upgraded the stakes to the 18 inch Rebar ones from Murdoch’s. They are awesome when the ground is frozen, or freezes on your trip. But for weight, keep the aluminum ones around.

Best of luck... feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Barnesc6

Jan 9, 2017
Not 100% sure on the weight. It’s not bad though, for what you get. It’s a single bar that goes across the middle. The rest simply attaches to the main tent.

If you’re packing the tent in, you can also shave weight by eliminating the side wall poles, ropes and stakes of the main tent. It still works just fine, assuming a horrendous storm doesn’t pass through. For me, this shaves a ton of weight because I upgraded the stakes to the 18 inch Rebar ones from Murdoch’s. They are awesome when the ground is frozen, or freezes on your trip. But for weight, keep the aluminum ones around.

Best of luck... feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.
Will do- thanks!

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Q&A on the Cabela's website says the vestibule for a 12x12 alaknak weights approximately 22 pounds.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
The vestibule is worth its weight in gold. really keeps the clutter down in the main portion of the tent.

Reactions: mnhoundman

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
The vestibule is worth its weight in gold. really keeps the clutter down in the main portion of the tent.
Definitely, i have the Cabela's big horn tent, i picked up the vestibule also. Couldn't imagine it without it, coolers and wood along with everything else you don't want getting wet or don't need inside, it's awesome!

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I have that 12 x 12 tent also. Like it just fine. If you just want to go bigger, Cabelas used to make it in a 12 x 20 maybe they still do. One thing on this tent, if you are in warm, rainy weather and do not run the wood stove, it will sweat pretty bad. Wood stove dries it out the inside in a snap. I got mine in 2005 or 06 and no leaks so far.....I am impressed with that.