Air airpads really ready for the back country?

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
It has been a long time since I have shopped for a new sleeping pad, and now I find my self in the market.

Technology has changed a LOT in 15 years (when I last look for a pad). The biggest change seems to be the increase in "air-pads" of all kinds. After being left with a self-incflating thermorest that would not hold air I have not been to keen on air/self inflating pads, but the closed foam pads are just so bulky.

last time I shopped air pads where heavy, fragile and prone to leaks. They were pretty much for RV and car campers. That seems to have changed entirely while I wasn't looking.

Are the "air-core" pads really ready for prime time? Are they dependable enough to really trust in the back country? Or am I really still consigned to a pad the size of my backpack?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Yes they are, pretty much the entire East mans' staff uses some form or fashion air core style. I have beat the tar out of my Neo Air by thermarest.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Great thread on here on sleeping pads you might want to check out. It helped me decide on a pad that I just bought. Now if I can draw the NM tag I would be golden

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
I was reading that thread and some others on some other backpacking sites. That's one of the reason's I brought the issue up. I guess now I need to figure how much to lighten my wallet by to lighten my pack.

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
If an insulated aircore deflates will the insulation provide some protection against the ground temperature, or is the insulative property of the pad dependent on it being inflated?

squirrelduster

Apr 26, 2011
Sebastopol, Ca
I have the Big Agnes air insulated pad.
I have used it a fair amount and it's pretty comfortable. I have not had any problems with the pad leaking but it's always been inside my Marmot Grid tent.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I will never go back to foam!! My BA insulated air core is the only thing I carry anymore, if your worried about holes in the pad carry some goat tuff tape. This stuff is incredible and I've used it to repair torn shells on my down jackets, tents and even cheap Cabela's rain-wear and it bonds solid in a few days and remains very flexible.