Advice on hunting

KingsandFools

Feb 14, 2021
This will be my 5th year going out and attempting to get something for elk rifle. I’m looking for any suggestions as to where I might have the better opportunity. Are there some GMUs that are preferred over other ones? Or a particular rifle season that’s better?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
first ..........welcome to the site!

short answer .............yes.

getting folks to agree on what units are better or what season/month is better is much more complicated.

most would probably agree that hunting the rut is preferable but not all would. it would also be a plus to pick a unit that holds elk. ;) :D

maybe the better question/place to start would be what are YOU looking for out of the hunt????????????

bull vs cow ???? big bull vs any bull???? seclusion????? weather?? hot /cold , dry/ wet?????? accommodations ?? hotel vs camping???? pack in vs truck camp????? accessibility??? ease of terrain....wide open /heavy forest , mtn /desert???? steep vs flat??????????
none of above are necessarily better just depends what you are wanting out of your hunt.
to narrow it down so folks can help there are some decisions you need to make.

check out eastmans tag hub for info to help you make informed decisions.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It would help to know what state you are in.

But generally speaking, elk hunting starts in the summer no later than July. Get into the unit that you plan to hunt and find the elk and watch them. If you are a working may you can do this on weekends or after work depending on how far of a drive you might have.

Learn their habits as far as where they water, feed, and bed. Watch them when they get spooked and see where they run and how far they run.

Come hunting season be in your observation spot well before daylight and stay until after dark.

The only variable that you won't know until hunting season is how they react to pressure

Successive elk elk hunters know all of the above in the areas that they hunt.

KingsandFools

Feb 14, 2021
first ..........welcome to the site!

short answer .............yes.

getting folks to agree on what units are better or what season/month is better is much more complicated.

most would probably agree that hunting the rut is preferable but not all would. it would also be a plus to pick a unit that holds elk. ;) :D

maybe the better question/place to start would be what are YOU looking for out of the hunt????????????

bull vs cow ???? big bull vs any bull???? seclusion????? weather?? hot /cold , dry/ wet?????? accommodations ?? hotel vs camping???? pack in vs truck camp????? accessibility??? ease of terrain....wide open /heavy forest , mtn /desert???? steep vs flat??????????
none of above are necessarily better just depends what you are wanting out of your hunt.
to narrow it down so folks can help there are some decisions you need to make.

check out eastmans tag hub for info to help you make informed decisions.
Thank you! I appreciate you’re time. I’m not looking to be a trophy hunter, I am just wanting to fill the freezer basically. I’m happy with bull or cow, and am willing to hike in and camp. I’m military so hot, cold, wet, etc doesn’t bother me in the least. Previous units I’ve hunted in have been 38, 29, and 19.

I am assuming I’m going to have to go more west or north along the Wyoming boarder to find anything.

KingsandFools

Feb 14, 2021
It would help to know what state you are in.

But generally speaking, elk hunting starts in the summer no later than July. Get into the unit that you plan to hunt and find the elk and watch them. If you are a working may you can do this on weekends or after work depending on how far of a drive you might have.

Learn their habits as far as where they water, feed, and bed. Watch them when they get spooked and see where they run and how far they run.

Come hunting season be in your observation spot well before daylight and stay until after dark.

The only variable that you won't know until hunting season is how they react to pressure

Successive elk elk hunters know all of the above in the areas that they hunt.
Thank you. I live in Parker, Co. I don’t have much opportunity to get out and scout as I would like. I have hunted 38, 29, and 19 previously due to some former contacts who have had luck. I have seen plenty of signs but never the actual animals. Probably due to hunting pressure in the area. So may have to kick out somewhere further west or north.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You have to remember that for most of the rifle elk hunts the success rate is around 30% and the archery hunts are around 15%. I haven't looked at Colorado's for very long time but it was around there when I did.

Even if you can get out for a few weekends during the summer it will help. Find a high spot early in the morning that you can see quite a bit of country and pull out the binoculars, at least a set of 10x ones but if you have access to higher magnification ones all the better. Glass the meadows and edge of trees to see if you can find some and then watch them to see what they do.

Perhaps I am luckier that some but I usually see at least one or two elk whenever I take a ride on my ATV during the summer

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
If you are wanting to go DIY piblic land then focus on the GMUs/herds with the most animals. Plenty of healthy herds and I noticed some are trending above target numbers so they added tags this year. Get some cow tags and put some meat in the freezer. Utilize the CPW hunting atlas and the overlays.

Hope that helps provide a little guidance.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I am not a "cow hunter" but I know people who are and they have 0 problem filling their cow tags in short order and if I recall the tags are pretty easy to draw as your first choice.

I would choose a muzzeloader cow tag if I was you. As a resident you should have not trouble drawing one of those and scoring on some meat.

Best of luck to you!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I am not a "cow hunter" but I know people who are and they have 0 problem filling their cow tags in short order and if I recall the tags are pretty easy to draw as your first choice.

I would choose a muzzeloader cow tag if I was you. As a resident you should have not trouble drawing one of those and scoring on some meat.

Best of luck to you!
The CP&W has been cutting back on cow tags and is quite a few units you will need a preference point or two to draw one. The units around me went from having cow tags on the left over list to needing 3 or 4 points to draw.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
3-4 points for a decent cow tag. This is what its come down to....lol.
These are not even the better units for a cow hunt. There are quite a few units here in Colorado where the elk population is dropping. You seen it here when we discussed CP&W eliminating either sex elk tags for archery hunters.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yes there are units like you said Jim. Thats normal though I think from my studies as the herds fluctuate and are managed.

There is still "quality" cow tags that even non residents have a 80 percent or greater chance to draw every year with zero points. There is also some herds that are over objective that they increased cow tags in. Thats why I think Colorado is so great to elk hunt in for all methods of take and seasons. I keep a good year to year data base for comparison and the metrics then really stick out like a sore thumb.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
You ask 5 guys this question and you're going to get 6 opinions. But for my 2c I sure wouldn't bother with 38/19/29.

If you're just trying to fill the freezer, I would cross-reference the recap and harvest stats reports. Look for rifle-1 tags in high-success zones that are easy to draw, maybe units 3 or 65. Put in for cow in the draw, and then if you can, buy the matching bull tag.

Then go scout the zone in summer, as late as you can. Not to find the animals, but to find things like road and trail access, water, and huntable clearings with good sight lines. If you find any carcasses, mark those as well. (The reason to go as late as you can is because you want that water to dry up so you see what's left.) One of my stupid little tricks is using OnX to look for wall tents on satellite photos. If outfitters are putting hunters in certain spots there's a reason...

As others said above, get out there EARLY, especially opening day. If you can, it doesn't hurt to spike out the night before. If you move, move slowly. Let other hunters drive the animals to you.

Also, it's not my place to tell you what friends to make but from my perspective, hunting with a buddy or two is smart with elk. An elk will feed two families for a year if it's not your only meat, and two guys can cover more territory and double your chances. It also makes pack-outs a lot easier... Obviously it needs to be somebody you can trust who won't flake out on you.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have hunted in a couple different areas in CO that are a high point draw for bulls, but a 0-1 pt. draw for cows (MZL season). While solo scouting had perfect opportunities to fill a tag, BUT would never attempt to pack it out solo. When you're ready Marcus, let me know.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Thank you! I appreciate you’re time. I’m not looking to be a trophy hunter, I am just wanting to fill the freezer basically. I’m happy with bull or cow, and am willing to hike in and camp. I’m military so hot, cold, wet, etc doesn’t bother me in the least. Previous units I’ve hunted in have been 38, 29, and 19.

I am assuming I’m going to have to go more west or north along the Wyoming boarder to find anything.
Get farther away from the front range, you will get rid of a lot of weekend warriors and the pressure will decrease.