Advice on a muzzelloader cow hunt in Colorado

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
My 15 yr old son drew a muzzy cow tag for GMU 14 / 214. Last season he had an archery elk tag for Wyoming and we geared up for hunting bulls. We were keying in on bugles (both chasing and calling at) and sitting at a wallow; generally looking for a bull. Now that my son has a cow tag I would think we can leave the bugle call at home.
I am open to advice for when we are cow hunting the muzzy season in Colorado along side either sex muzzy and archery hunters. Any advice on the GMU 14 / 214 would be welcome as well. Thanks in advance, Kevin.

SGM

Apr 19, 2016
Canon City Colorado
Never hunted 14/214 so can't help there however, I have hunted cows during the ML season for many years ands will again this year. Still listen for the bugle and follow them. Typically a bugling bull has cows near him. Also hunt very slow, if there is a heard in the area there are lots of very wary eyes looking in all directions. If you know usual movement patterns in the unit you need to follow those also. Hard to say if the elk will be high, low, in the aspens or in the pines at this point. If the rut is on early morning and late afternoon are always good bets but the 1100-1300 time frame can be just as good in the thicker dark timber. Have not used a bugle hunting cows but have used a cow call several times. Sometimes you get an answer to a call or sometimes use it to settle a wary cow down. It is not fool proof but still good to have one on hand. As for other hunters during ML season, I really don't have an issue with them. Where I hunt I rarely see other hunters other than the 3 or 4 in our group. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I agree with SGM. I also can't speak for 14/214, but have cow muzzy hunted also. I find elk to be a very social animal and a couple light cow calls a lot of times will peak there interest especially if you find a small group or just a single. Also where I hunt for muzzy season I usually see no one but the group I am with.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Ensure you can at least glass a few days before the opener. Makes a huge difference....if they were not bumped during the first two weeks of archery they will be very easily patternable.

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm 12 hrs away from the area and due to work (for me) and school (for my son) we'll have to drive out opening day Saturday and will be able to hunt until the following Friday. I know not ideal but it is what it is. I appreciate the advice for the cow calls. Kevin.