Advice greatly appreciated! Drew my CA Bighorn area 31!

Hello all, what a great forum! I was ecstatic to draw my CA bighorn in what looks to be a great unit for this hunt. Hoping anyone here may have hunted sheep in this area, seen where they mingle while on other hunts or even if you know stories others have passed on. Any detail is greatly appreciated! Going up this weekend to scout for a few days... suggestions?

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Wow, for NV? Congrats. Sounds like a once in a lifetime hunt and you're not hiring a guide? I wish I could help you out. Good luck!

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
First of all congrats on the tag! I've spent a lot of time up in that unit and you have an amazing tag with the opportunity for a big ram. Should be busy up there this weekend with the rifle antelope opener so hopefully the sheep don't get pushed around too much with all the people buzzing around. Also, head over to the new member introduction thread and introduce yourself. You will find a lot of help and benefit from this forum if you stick around. There is also a really great group of Reno guys here. Good luck on your tag and hunt!

Extrapale

Mar 18, 2014
Oregon
I will be up hunting the Oregon side the next couple weeks. I will drop you a line if I see anything interesting.

Thank you much, I'm more than excited but feeling the pressure of such a valuable draw. A guide would sure be nice but an expense I'm not sure I can swing, my 16 yr old daughter drew her bull elk too so I need to save a few bucks for at least 2 more hunts yet this year. I've hunted 31 4 times with deer tags in the past but have only seen sign when it comes to sheep. Thank you Extrapale for that offer, I'll gladly take it! Which tags do you have, I'll keep an eye out and do the same for you. NVBird thanks, I'm telling folks at our gun shop about this forum, an awesome tool!

quicknick

Oct 7, 2011
Atascadero, CA
I don't think a guide is a must to be successful. I was in unit 032 for deer two years ago and we saw sheep everywhere. If unit 031 is similar which I think it is my best advice would be to be mobile and willing to glass but its nice big open country good for glassing. Oh and don't shoot the first ram you see. We saw hundreds of sheep over the course of five days in 032.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I'll be antelope huntin there startin Saturday. I spend time up there every winter and summer and see sheep. I'll pm you some info and what I see this weekend

Only the coolest gun shop in town! Willey Brothers Firearms. Had a great scout this weekend, even a little pond loaded with fish! Kids'll love that next week. Looks like folks were having a great opening day for antelope too. Lots of bucks hanging even tho we only saw one lone buck all weekend. How did u do velvetfvr?

Extrapale

Mar 18, 2014
Oregon
Thank you much, I'm more than excited but feeling the pressure of such a valuable draw. A guide would sure be nice but an expense I'm not sure I can swing, my 16 yr old daughter drew her bull elk too so I need to save a few bucks for at least 2 more hunts yet this year. I've hunted 31 4 times with deer tags in the past but have only seen sign when it comes to sheep. Thank you Extrapale for that offer, I'll gladly take it! Which tags do you have, I'll keep an eye out and do the same for you. NVBird thanks, I'm telling folks at our gun shop about this forum, an awesome tool!
I had deer and antelope on the Oregon side. No sheep were spotted in or near Nevada. Lots of antelope thou.

uploadfromtaptalk1440950059769.jpg