A new trend

May 16, 2015
Question for you backcountry hunters.

I've noticed a lot lately that guys that travel many miles on foot into the back country to get away from other hunters have found other hunters in areas that they have never seen guys before.

Brian Barney on a recent Podcast said he and his hunting partner he was interviewing have been finding other hunters in their normal hunting spots that they have never seen guys in the passed. I've also heard the same from many other guys.

My question is why do you think this is happening?

Is it just because more guys are getting into this type of hunting?
Is it because the evolution of gear has made it possible for guys to get back there and stay more comfortable?
Is it more hunters are getting fit and are able to take the challenges?
Or is it because that's where the biggest animals live?

Thanks guys
Maybe those other guys have gotten better optics allowing them to see better😂

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
Technology ..... People who couldn't navigate w/ a map and compass where scared. Now there is the GPS to find your way.

People now use knives you don't have to sharpen.

Back packs that are $700 to help with the load compared to the 80's & 90's is night & day.

Hunting has become an industry instead of the past time.

I still sharpen my own knife & use a map w/ a compass.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Technology ..... People who couldn't navigate w/ a map and compass where scared. Now there is the GPS to find your way.

People now use knives you don't have to sharpen.

Back packs that are $700 to help with the load compared to the 80's & 90's is night & day.

Hunting has become an industry instead of the past time.

I still sharpen my own knife & use a map w/ a compass.
Can't disagree with any of this.

Ed B.

Nov 16, 2017
Good discussion.
For me it's partly because of HD tv. Lol.
The scenery is so amazing out west. Also, when I was young there wasn't this many hunting shows available to so many people. That's how it reached me. I plan on heading west in a year or 2 for a backcountry hunt. Mostly because of hunting shows featuring hunting out west. Backcountry or otherwise.
We can all probably blame Rogan for some recent spikes in interest. I don't know that he backcountry hunts but I'm sure there are a few extra people out there and some are going the extra mile.

Redbowman

Jan 18, 2016
I like to break trail and the GPS units have given me the confidence I needed to keep going over the next rise or into the next basin. In the 90's I would get turned around and spent many extra miles and late nights finding my way. And with goggle earth and a GPS I can easily find that meadow or ridge. I am thankful however, that I learned with maps and a heading just in case the batteries die.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If I use a GPS I know how long its going to take me to get somewhere and that puts too much "Daily Agenda" pressure on me....

So, I primarily use hard copy maps and a tiny little compass when hunting. I like using landmarks the best I can. I have killed a lot of stuff just wandering around. Actually most of the stuff I kill is when I am wondering around with the wind in my face and a paper map idea in front of me every half hour or so.. lol If you pick your head up from the GPS and look around you would be amazing how much more fun you will have.

I like to think you discover more when you arnt relying on technology the entire time your hunting.

What works for me doesn't work out well for others. I use that to my advantage.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'VE FOUND it to be fairly easy to get away from people.
just walk to the point the road is out of sight and you are away from 95% of them.

generally speaking those few left are good folks. talk to them, see what they plan and work around it
I too have found this to be the case. I've gone West the past 6 years and rarely encounter another hunter. Maybe it's dumb luck, but I'll take it either way. However, I like to think I've done my homework and figured out found this little nugget that I'm hunting... it makes me feel better about my planning from 2,000 miles away and keeps my mind occupied while trying to sleep in grizzly country! :eek:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Good article in the new Bugle that discusses this topic and overlooking hunting spots closer to camp or trail heads as people walk past the animals.
This has been a topic a few times here also.

A couple of my best spots that I’ve never seen another hunter is a 20 min hike off a main road.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
The new hottest trend is sleeping in till an hour after shooting light, then making a large breakfast, followed by a morning nap, then road hunt till lunch, followed by an early supper, and a fire with lots of night caps. Spread the word, everyone is doing it, the hole backcountry thing is so yesterday... LOL!

I really have no idea if its a trend, or not, but people think I'm crazy when I tell them how far I walking in, just to Antelope hunt, more less Elk hunt. I'd be interested to know how many people do the whole backcountry hunt for a few years then go back to their normal hunting

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
An actual true statement from a guy who camps way back in that I used to hunt with a lot.

"I like washing my a$$ in a hot shower, but I like shooting elk more. If your going public land hunting you cant always have both..."

crzytrekker

Jan 14, 2016
Crawford, Colorado
GPS, Google Maps, a growing population, Joe Rogan, Podcasts, people getting tired of being on the hedonistic treadmill, etc. It's not going to stop any time soon. I personally miss being out in a remote basin when the only way to get there was a USGS quad and know-how with a Silva compass. Now . . . anyone with a smart phone can get out there, even if not qualified for contingencies . . .

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Seeing more of the "Itakepreworkoutpowderbeforeihuntcrew" that seems to be starting to "pump up" for the backcountry.. Expecting to see one taking in his 40lb dumbells to work out in camp with one of these years...
I didn't read this before but it gave me a good chuckle.

A guy I hunted with before was taking that powder stuff daily (Like 10 times a day...). He probably had more money in powder drink crap than I ad in all of my food for the entire trip..

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
When I started hunting I wasn't intrigued by hunting in a lush trailer or a straight walled tent. I don't need the campfire experience after a long day of hunting. I'm not a fan of quads with the exception of those god-given. Hunting season for me is about being a minimalist, a little struggle, a little pain, and pushing my limits. I see it as a challenge of physical and mental well-being. As Father time passes, I love challenging myself year-after-year to see what I can still do. I love doing what others can't (or won't). I don't mind the crowds and I have learned to use the crowds to my advantage.

Last edited: