A new trend

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Question for you backcountry hunters.

I've noticed a lot lately that guys that travel many miles on foot into the back country to get away from other hunters have found other hunters in areas that they have never seen guys before.

Brian Barney on a recent Podcast said he and his hunting partner he was interviewing have been finding other hunters in their normal hunting spots that they have never seen guys in the passed. I've also heard the same from many other guys.

My question is why do you think this is happening?

Is it just because more guys are getting into this type of hunting?
Is it because the evolution of gear has made it possible for guys to get back there and stay more comfortable?
Is it more hunters are getting fit and are able to take the challenges?
Or is it because that's where the biggest animals live?

Thanks guys

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
I think that is a great question. I would have to believe it is a little bit of everything you touched on. We're in an era where being fit and eating healthy is the status quo now. And if you are, it would open up the possibility to push yourself further and further into the backcountry not only to get away from hunting pressure but to also find the larger animals and explore a new way of hunting. My dad and I have only ever backpack hunted, unfortunately it is always in Southern California, enough said! Haha

Great topic though and I look forward to what others will have to say!

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Trent, I like this one! You hit a lot of great points! Guys & Gals are getting into to better shape, which leads us to more technical gear. Eastman's shows and articles All talk about getting further away from other hunters! I also see with the advances in electronic devices, gps, inreach, On X apps. All of it leads us further away and hopefully heavier packs on the way out!

Keep it going!!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Question for you backcountry hunters.

I've noticed a lot lately that guys that travel many miles on foot into the back country to get away from other hunters have found other hunters in areas that they have never seen guys before.

Brian Barney on a recent Podcast said he and his hunting partner he was interviewing have been finding other hunters in their normal hunting spots that they have never seen guys in the passed. I've also heard the same from many other guys.

My question is why do you think this is happening?

Is it just because more guys are getting into this type of hunting?
Is it because the evolution of gear has made it possible for guys to get back there and stay more comfortable?
Is it more hunters are getting fit and are able to take the challenges?
Or is it because that's where the biggest animals live?

Thanks guys
All of the above. However, I will say though that it remains to be seen if the trend will stick. How many times have we talked about Yo-Yo ing with our weight. Same concept applies, will guys stick it out as they get older? I know of quite a few who have tried it and well they now own campers and ATVs again. Nothing wrong with going back to that style, just seems to be what I am seeing.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I think it has a lot to do with what people are seeing on TV / Cable / Sat.

I've noticed many more backpack hunting-type shows on the Outdoor and Sportsmans Channels. You know the manufacturers are pressing hard to get us to buy more equipment...it's how our world works.

Everything in our world is geared towards one thing -- separating you from your money! TV, print, on-line, etc.

Media wants you to watch / read....so they can attract more advertisers.
Advertisers want to sell you the latest and greatest (or the newest trends), make more money.
Government loves all these sales...more taxes.

Circle of life my friends, circle of life...

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Forums like this play a big part. Some TV shows also portray the adventure very well and likely add to the competition.

More trends to consider are the amount of posted land now compared to years ago and the cost of trespass fees. Trophy hunting is also probably more popular than ever because of TV shows and magazines. It is no secret that you stand a better chance getting a trophy where others don't hunt.

I think the answer has more to do with the idea, documentation, and portrayal of backpack hunting reaching more people than ever. I recall seeing old footage of Mike Eastman crossing an icy river in an inflatable boat and him talking about how heavy the camera equipment was back then. I don't know of to many other people going to those lengths to bring backpack hunting into our living rooms. Today it is much easier to film hunts in the wilderness and there are many shows that bring much unseen country into our homes.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
The age of the internet has helped immensely. Making it easier to buy tags online, scouting from 1500 miles away, access to forums such as this, you tube. Without the internet, I wouldn't have half the western gear I have because its not carried in local brick and mortar stores. The internet has made hunting out west a whole lot easier when it comes to planning and gear.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I saw one of my favorite hunting spots on TV last year. That really sucked!! But yea there have been a lot more people every year. When I hunted the Breaks in the 80s there was absolutely no one around. Now there is a campsite around every bend. Same with where I have hunted the past twenty years. Used to not be anyone but now there are a fair amount of hunters that access the area. That's ok I work around them.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I am not an avid backpack hunter. I have done it several times in the last decade but only to find better hunting. My last few times out have not produced anything to get excited about. I never sleep well, I can’t get away from other hunters and/or general hikers. I don’t see much game where I’ve been so I’m not sure I will continue going there. Most of my time is spent has been in the Cascade Wilderness searching for deer, nothing like what you see on TV or read about in the magazines. I much prefer hunting out of a RV,wall tent, hotel or home.

I hope for you who really enjoy backcountry hunting it is just a phase many are going through. I’m sure it will be a short lived style for many. I certainly do not plan anything out of state that requires me to live off what I can carry on my back.

Last edited:

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I think it's mainly Internet, Magazines, and seminars who educate folks. It's definitely ruined drawing odds in a lot of states IMO. I back pack hunt a lot, but don't have a lot of competetion yet. I think some people try it but life changes and they quit, or get tired of staying in shape. There just like all the New Years Resolution folks every year.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I'VE FOUND it to be fairly easy to get away from people.
just walk to the point the road is out of sight and you are away from 95% of them.

generally speaking those few left are good folks. talk to them, see what they plan and work around it

Last edited:

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
just walk to the point the road is out of sight and you are away from 95% of them.

generally speaking those few left are good folks. talk to them, see what they plan and work around it
Couldn't agree more.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I think it's mainly Internet, Magazines, and seminars who educate folks.
To my point...the internet, magazines, and seminars are manipulating us to purchase more stuff.

How many times have you seen an article, or watched someone on TV, and thought to yourself, "man, I really need a new ____," or "gee, if I had that _____, my hunt would be more successful / comfortable / easier / etc."

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or

I agree! My favorite zone to hunt is the 1-3 miles from the truck. More than most, less than the overnighters. Certainly less than the ones with horses. I’ve gone in where the horse camps are and it’s a zoo.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I agree! My favorite zone to hunt is the 1-3 miles from the truck. More than most, less than the overnighters. Certainly less than the ones with horses. I’ve gone in where the horse camps are and it’s a zoo.
Some of the busiest areas I have ever hunted were where the horses could get in about 2 hours.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Seems to be getting real busy in the back country. Maybe that 2-3 mile range is getting passed up and can hold some great opportunities

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I would say the start of the bell curve started quite awhile ago. Before about 2005 we saw very few people in high basins or you could just switch areas if you did. Now it is a much different story... My parents drug my brother and I all over the state backpacking when we were growing up most of the gear (sleeping bags, tent, freeze dried meals, and such) she made. Yep even the tent and bags. The packs were uncomfortable and trails disappeared at times and when they did it was a compass and map not click to a gps answer.. It was a different world out there. We saw no body ever or maybe one other group in 5-7 days out.. Now many wilderness area's have assigned camping....

Yea the internet is the main culprit and I am as guilty as most w posting pics and what not.. I know of more than one or 2 basins that the internet has flat out changed for the worse. The multiple mags with all the units lined out also makes it easier. Google earth also has flat changed the game for folks. Dont have to take a flight or hike to see what the terrain of area's is like. More folks have quality optics as of late and that is another game changer.

Unfortunately this puts more people on animals and I just plan on seeing other hunters. Changes the way I have had to hunt. It is taking many more days of scouting to find a big buck and most times when you do there will be other hunters in the area come opening day.

Seeing more of the "Itakepreworkoutpowderbeforeihuntcrew" that seems to be starting to "pump up" for the backcountry.. Expecting to see one taking in his 40lb dumbells to work out in camp with one of these years...

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
I consider myself a backcountry hunter now, but it took several years and an evolution to get there. I got into hunting as an adult, and have a drive to be successful in my 'local' zones where success rates hover around 6-9% normally. Slowly I acquired more gear and knowledge and realized the guys being successful every year didn't hunt how I was trying to hunt. I had to learn how to hunt out of a pack and spend nights closer to where the deer live. In some places it may be 3 miles, other places its more like 5-7 miles in.

I didn't realize until I was actually doing it how enjoyable backpack hunting is. No one invited me to go with them. I had to just start in an area and begin pushing in further and learning more every trip. It began 100% with the desire to be one of the few successful hunters every year. But it's completely changed into that just how I like to hunt now. I need that backcountry experience. Give me a tag in a unit you can road hunt or sleep in the truck and I just don't enjoy it nearly as much, even if I shoot a larger animal.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
I think the trend is here to stay. I have seen some people that are not very prepared or try to pack to lite for the season have some rough hunts.