A friends 300 win.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
This is a great friend of mine that had a good deer tag last year. She is a great shot with her 300 win. I took a few pics while we were waiting for her buck to stand up.

The Bog Pod really helped her keep steady

We had a great time with the whole family.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv

I see a pattern here. We are all shooting 300 win now.

Flat shooting, tons of grain and bullet options, knock down power, just a great all around caliber.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Really good pictures and nice deer , also looks like you had plenty of help with the dragging !
We sure did. This buck was only a few hundred yards off the main road as the crow flys so it was a easy recovery. It's nice to have plenty of help.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Cool pics, story, and deer, congrats to all involved.

I shot a 300 win mag at everything for years, shot 180gr Ballistic tips and later Accubonds over a max load of RL22. I truly mean I shot it at everything including rocks, dirt clods, crows, coyotes, etc. It was the only rifle I used other than my 22. I developed a flinch doing it that took me a while to lose, I shot the big gun to much. I actually shot the barrel out on that rifle and when I had it re-barreled my gunsmith recommended the 264 win mag so I went with that. I loaded ammo for that gun anyway. It turned out I love my new 264 for deer and antelope, but I never quite quit missing the power that the 300 had.

Fast forward a decade and I have a moose hunt lined up and am hunting elk every time I can draw a tag. I ended up ordering a lightweight 70 with a few modifications from Rifles Inc. I got it in 300 win mag. Even with the rifle and scope weighing 7lbs 4oz total it is comfortable to shoot with the brake they installed. I took my muley with it this fall on a hard quartering shot and it reminded me why I like the 300 with a tough 180gr bullet. I wish I'd had a brake on the first one, but am very happy with the pair of rifles I have now. The 300 is light and accurate with a lot of punch, the 264 is accurate and being 3lbs heavier an easy rifle to shoot well. Depending on the game between the two I have an ideal rifle and solid back-up rifle for almost all my hunts.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
Cool pics, story, and deer, congrats to all involved.I shot a 300 win mag at everything for years, shot 180gr Ballistic tips and later Accubonds over a max load of RL22. . I actually shot the barrel out on that rifle and when I had it re-barreled my gunsmith recommended the 264 win mag so I went with that. I loaded ammo for that gun anyway. It turned out I love my new 264 for deer and antelope, but I never quite quit missing the power that the 300 had.

I have shot a 300 win mag since 1980. Used Rem. 180 gr. with great success. Now loading 180 Accubonds over the same RL22, my go to rig for about everything. I also have a 264 mag, and have added a 25-06. Use these three on everything from sage rats to elk. Wouldn't hesitate to use that 300 win mag on moose if I ever draw the tag. If you factor in availability of ammo, with everything else, I would have to put this cartridge right at the top of the list. BB

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Cool pics, story, and deer, congrats to all involved.I shot a 300 win mag at everything for years, shot 180gr Ballistic tips and later Accubonds over a max load of RL22. . I actually shot the barrel out on that rifle and when I had it re-barreled my gunsmith recommended the 264 win mag so I went with that. I loaded ammo for that gun anyway. It turned out I love my new 264 for deer and antelope, but I never quite quit missing the power that the 300 had.

I have shot a 300 win mag since 1980. Used Rem. 180 gr. with great success. Now loading 180 Accubonds over the same RL22, my go to rig for about everything. I also have a 264 mag, and have added a 25-06. Use these three on everything from sage rats to elk. Wouldn't hesitate to use that 300 win mag on moose if I ever draw the tag. If you factor in availability of ammo, with everything else, I would have to put this cartridge right at the top of the list. BB
I have a 26-06 too, I use it for antlerless season some and on coyotes at times. Some years the heavy tall grass makes me like the stouter bullets that will not blow up on it like my V max's in the 204 or 22 cal centerfires.