A few of the cats from this year

hvfd21walker

Dec 18, 2011
Bitteroots
Here is one of the Toms we caught . Good solid cat. Also a few others of dogs and cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2012
Minnesota
This maybe a dumb question but when you say this is one of the cats we caught, what exactly do you mean? Were you just running the dogs for fun or trapping or someone shot it? Like I said maybe a dumb question. One day I think that would be an awesome hunt, even my wife wants to get one of them!

hvfd21walker

Dec 18, 2011
Bitteroots
This maybe a dumb question but when you say this is one of the cats we caught, what exactly do you mean? Were you just running the dogs for fun or trapping or someone shot it? Like I said maybe a dumb question. One day I think that would be an awesome hunt, even my wife wants to get one of them!
Between me and the guys I run with we have caught 25 cats with our dogs. Only have killed 3. There's a lot more to it than just turning dogs loose to catch them. We have wolves to worry about. I probably have spent $3000-$4000 just in fuel this year trying to find cats.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Great pics! Thanks for sharing! I am still trying to get mine. Lots of miles looking for track and alot of miles on foot following tracks. Hopefully it will happen this year. Congrats on all the success!

JasonGNV

Very Active Member
Jul 17, 2013
Smith
That Tom looks pretty pumpkin headed! Good looking cat, I've been wearing out boot leather trying to get a lion going. Wish we had some snow, congrats!

hvfd21walker

Dec 18, 2011
Bitteroots
Here is my 9 month old pup. He has been to 7 truck to tree catches and has treed first on a couple.

hoshour

Veteran member
Nice. I don't think there's a more interesting piece of North American taxidermy than a full body cougar mount. And, running to catch up to an excited pack of dogs, seeing a live mountain lion treed above your head and putting an arrow through it, sounds like a really exciting hunt.

I'll really have to save my pennies though - between the hunt (which I know is expensive because of the cost of buying, keeping and training dogs, fuel, etc) and the cost of a full-body mount, it's pretty rich.

Yot 1

Feb 13, 2014
MN
That is so cool that you guys get to tree that many cats looking for the right one. Sounds like a lot of fun with the dogs. ATTACH=CONFIG]8156[/ATTACH] Got to go on my first lion hunt with a older friend of mine to help be lags. We did it DIY in the south eastern part of your state were I've hunted deer before and seen lots of cat sin and even 2 cat when hunting mule deer. It was a great time. Now I think that I'm going to start bobcat hunting in MN. starting to look for dogs that I can hunt with and maybe go back out there to do it again some day with. Do a lot of hounding for coyotes here. Here are some pics not as big as cat but its a start. MT Hunt 235.jpgMT Hunt 234.jpg

Attachments

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I sure miss hunting with hounds. My dad had a pile of them when I was younger, I spent many days with my head out the passenger window looking for loin tracks. I never did get to go to a treed lion, lots of bears though. Thanks for posting, brings back memories for me.

hvfd21walker

Dec 18, 2011
Bitteroots
Timberstalker if your ever up this way during lion season give me a shout. Your more than welcome at a lion tree.