9 days

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Waiting impatiently.

Just wanna know so can get on with my life. WY and FL (quota) results come out about the same time. Driving me nuts.

Reactions: eaglemountainman

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm right there with you. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I didn't even draw anything this year. I got way too much going on as it is.

Reactions: Mnbogboy

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
@eaglemountainman - I have family in New England. Was there when they started the moose lottery and my dad poo-pooed the lottery, so we didn't do it. If we'da applied probably would have had a moose hunt or two by now.

My uncle, who's never one to miss a raffle, has drawn tags for ME and NH, his son drew a NH, and his son's son drew a ME. They tried DIY hunting in ME and were always one step behind the moose, even after a summer of scouting. Think they just underestimated the task at hand - we used to do vacations in ME and always went to see the moose and to pick up sheds.... The moose used to be everywhere.

Next permit, uncle did guide and after about a week of hunting he needed a break (older w health issues). Guide calls about 0900 on the day off and says that his cousin has a moose in her backyard, get up here. He drove 3-4 hours back up and there were 2 guys keeping an eye on that moose - it was a cow, he gladly shot it.

The son went with a guide. They had cam pics of several bull moose in a cutover. Opening morning, they are standing on a trail about 100 yards from where they could see into cutover waiting for first light. Bull moose comes up behind them and is pacing back and forth about 50 yards back, wanting to get by them. Gets shooting light and he shoots it. They used oxen to drag it out due to some laws about machinery or something.

The son's son went with a guide. All the moose the guide had located done left when the season opened and left them high & dry. About 4-5 days of dawn to dark, they bumped into a bull and kid whacks em.

Vermont also had some moose hunts - we'd see em deer hunting or when you get up in the morning and look out the windows at my folk's. Friends had created a meat locker for aging moose for folks. Not sure if VT has a season anymore - ticks have been killing off the moose, number are down. Lotta ticks up there.

5 days til WY draw...

Rich M
Good post. Yeah, nothins' a given in fair chase. I would definitely use a guide for such a prized tag, though. The ticks have been a major problem for quite a few years up there.

So, the Maine draw is today, and Wyoming is in 5 days. If I hit both, I'm gonna have a very busy season. If I pull a muley tag, I'll be flying home to Fl. on 10/7. Then 2 weeks later driving to Maine and back home. A few weeks after that, back to NY to spend the entire rifle season for deer in the Catskills.
EDIT: I have the best wife in the world.

If you're in any of the draws, best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mnbogboy

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Rich M
Good post. Yeah, nothins' a given in fair chase. I would definitely use a guide for such a prized tag, though. The ticks have been a major problem for quite a few years up there.

So, the Maine draw is today, and Wyoming is in 5 days. If I hit both, I'm gonna have a very busy season. If I pull a muley tag, I'll be flying home to Fl. on 10/7. Then 2 weeks later driving to Maine and back home. A few weeks after that, back to NY to spend the entire rifle season for deer in the Catskills.
EDIT: I have the best wife in the world.

If you're in any of the draws, best of luck to you.
Best of luck to you. Sounds like you'll be busy. Wishing you the best for your hunting season.

Did you hear on the moose draw?

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you'll be busy. Wishing you the best for your hunting season.

Did you hear on the moose draw?
Still no love in Maine. I'll try again next year. 34 years and counting. I'll probably draw the year I become incontinent, crippled up and half blind. Ha!, that could be any day now.

Still have the Wy. muley draw to look forward to. Good luck to all.