7mm Gradle Express brass, cartridges, and dies

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Hello, I'm looking to buy any brass, loaded cartridges, and dies for the wildcat 7mm Gradle Express (Rimless). Need help on where I can find some for sale. thanks

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I'll check Buffalo Arms thanks Musket Man.

Hey CC, when u get a chance can u let me know where u found the dies and hopefully some brass for sale. I found lots of information on line on how to make the brass and good load formulas, but it sounds like a big pain in the butt to make the brass from raw .348 Win brass (gotta trim the rim and cut a groove with a lathe, Arg!). So hoping I can find a company or someone that already has some brass for sale. I called Custom brass and bullets Co. yesterday and they told me they might be able to make some brass for me, but still waiting for a price quote from them. It doesn't sound like its going to be cheap.....

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I just looked on line again and can't find the site. I think it was a UK site in England as they are more popular over there. I look some more. Buffalo Arms is a good place to start. Call RCBS and ask them, they make almost any die, but might be a bit pricey.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I saw some 4D dies when I googled it but they were over seas somewhere too but you might call 4D (formerly CH tool&die). Old Western Scrounger might have something too. You might want to call Buffalo and talk to them. If they dont have anything they should atleast have some ideas for you. Their main focus is obsolete calibers. I have dealt with them a few times and they been real good.

This article has alot of good info too!
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/R248 Partial .pdf

Last edited:

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Thanks for posting that article Musket Man, I already had printed it out and studied it for the past week...lol Here is a picture of the rifle. Its a Roy Gradle Custom. I love the wood on this rifle, they just don't make them like this anymore. It's built on a Mauser 98 action.
Gradle #3.jpgGradle #2.jpgGradle #1.jpg

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
From what I was reading it no one said it but it sounded like you could make cases from a 404 Jeffry case like the WSM's are made from and would be easier then from the 348 win.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Hey u might be on to something there, I just tried a 7mm saum cartridge and it fit in the bolt pretty good. The bullet would not chamber all the way but it picked it up from the magazine well and extracted it just fine.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I think it was on some forum when I googled it but it sounded like it was nearly identical to a 7mm WSM but slightly shorter.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I think it was on some forum when I googled it but it sounded like it was nearly identical to a 7mm WSM but slightly shorter.
Musket, could that rifle not be rechambered to 7mmWSM ? Might be cheaper in the long run, to be able to use readily available ammo. Or would that hurt any collector value the rifle may have? All you'd need is a good 'smith with a 7WSM reamer.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
The wsm seems to be shorter so I dont think that would work. The Gradel is rare so I would think it adds to the value and collectability of it. It is based on a 348 win but the rim is removed and a new grove cut. I havent found specs on it but here is what I have for base diameters. 348win .553, WSM .555, RUM/SAUM .550, 404Jeffry .545. Not quite sure how the 404 is slightly smaller then the wsm and rum when both are based on the 404?