6% non-resident draw tags

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
We should get the NM residents to petition to get rid of that 10% outfitter quota and split it 60:40 with NRs.

That would make the state an even 90:10 split for resident/NR.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
We should get the NM residents to petition to get rid of that 10% outfitter quota and split it 60:40 with NRs.

That would make the state an even 90:10 split for resident/NR.
Odds would just get worse. NM residents odds didn't change when the allocations changed: it was 84% Resident and 16% NR pre 2012 (or 2013 maybe). Now it's 84% resident, 6% NR, and 10% outfitter. Sure a few wealthy residents came over to the outfitter pool but it's mostly NR with deeper pockets than the majority of us who are applying. If they eliminate the outfitter pool and only give 10% of tags to NR our odds will go down. I despise the outfitter pool but I hope they don't go 90/10 if they ever eliminate it. Hopefully 85/15 or 88/12 at worst.

This new rounding rule will not benefit residents, it will only keep them from rounding up NR and outfitter tags by exceeding the published quotas. Residents will be guaranteed 84% where sometimes before they weren't after the quotas were rounded up. Toprut has a very good write up if anyone wants to check it out. They explain it in great detail.

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
I am an AZ. res and hunted NM. alot for years. Don't even put in anymore. They screwed the non res. with the outfitter allocation. And everyone is an outfitter. LOL . They loose out on My $.......................BOB!

Reactions: Steve O

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I’ll throw a little fuel on the fire just for conversation ...when non resident tags are eliminated, why wouldn’t “non residents” start advocating for transfer of federal land to states so they could sell it to private owners so it could be hunted...(I am not advocating that), just saying what if hunters, the Primary users/financial supporters of public lands and their management, thought they could have more opportunity under a different system? What a catastrophe that would be...

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I think a state that has Federal lands is in the wrong if not allowing enough NR hunting. They should allocate tags more on a percentage of Federal lands. More than a third of New Mexico is federal land. Do I think 1/3 of the tags should go to NR No, but I do think about a 1/3 of the percentage of Federal lands would be more in line. That would put NR tags around 13 to 14%. And the splitting of seasons in units is a bad deal as well. It should be a percentage of the total tags in a unit.
I do not know all the rules that apply to outfitter tags, but they seem like a bad deal. Don't most outfitters hunt on private land? and on Private land antelope tags are unlimited. This may be different for Elk and Mule deer. I have not put much time researching those.

Thomas11

Apr 22, 2013
South alabama
Our legislators here in Oklahoma are going in exactly the opposite direction as I saw proposed bills yesterday that would lower nr hunting licenses and tags on all except deer elk and bear. We already allow a nr to take 6 deer with a bow for 300$, less than one little forkie in a second tier nm unit. We also welcome Texans, I mean, non residents with the lovely gift of even, straight up odds on our draw hunts. Non rez are in no way limited on percentages or odds or otc hunts. I in no way want to exclude non rez from hunting here but they r catered to at the detriment of the natives and I am bludgeoned like hell when I try to pay for my UPFRONT fees in New Mexico and decades of non refundable licenses in Az. Now I know how the boys in bama felt when we used to go down to Chatom and pop ten little ole deer for 110$ on a 5 day non rez platter deal. There is even a bill being heard that would ban Dept of Wildlife employees and their families from hunting any lands owned or managed by ODWC. Talk about a big difference between NM and OK. I thought I was going to get burned at the stake when I mentioned it would be awesome if Non rez could get a big ole bite of that 6% pie on the unit 4 New Mexico state wildlife areas. In ok we keep our own off the WMAs so there room for non rez to enjoy our deep red state. Sorry for the early morning rant but I was trying to scrape together my 900$ to apply for NM elk when I read the bills I just spoke of that will be debated at the capitol this session.
I’m actually from the Chatom area! Very small world

Reactions: swampokie

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
i think they should trade the 10% outfitter welfare tag pool to the 6% pool and have the 6% pool move to 10% pool,,what a great idea.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Odds would just get worse. NM residents odds didn't change when the allocations changed: it was 84% Resident and 16% NR pre 2012 (or 2013 maybe). Now it's 84% resident, 6% NR, and 10% outfitter. Sure a few wealthy residents came over to the outfitter pool but it's mostly NR with deeper pockets than the majority of us who are applying. If they eliminate the outfitter pool and only give 10% of tags to NR our odds will go down. I despise the outfitter pool but I hope they don't go 90/10 if they ever eliminate it. Hopefully 85/15 or 88/12 at worst.

This new rounding rule will not benefit residents, it will only keep them from rounding up NR and outfitter tags by exceeding the published quotas. Residents will be guaranteed 84% where sometimes before they weren't after the quotas were rounded up. Toprut has a very good write up if anyone wants to check it out. They explain it in great detail.
I read the write up in Top Rut, and it really seems like someone went on a crusade to fix a problem that didn’t really exist. Seems like the individual named in the article who pushed for this rule didn’t gain one tag for the resident pool, just took a little opportunity away from NR’s...what a loser

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I think a state that has Federal lands is in the wrong if not allowing enough NR hunting. They should allocate tags more on a percentage of Federal lands. More than a third of New Mexico is federal land. Do I think 1/3 of the tags should go to NR No, but I do think about a 1/3 of the percentage of Federal lands would be more in line. That would put NR tags around 13 to 14%. And the splitting of seasons in units is a bad deal as well. It should be a percentage of the total tags in a unit.
I do not know all the rules that apply to outfitter tags, but they seem like a bad deal. Don't most outfitters hunt on private land? and on Private land antelope tags are unlimited. This may be different for Elk and Mule deer. I have not put much time researching those.
For the umpteenth time, the animals you propose to hunt are owned by the State, not the Federal government. You can do anything you like on Federal ground , but the game that inhabits that ground is owned and managed by the State. The State of Wyoming is far too generous in the percentage of non-resident tags it gives out compared to surrounding States. IMO anyway.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
For the umpteenth time, the animals you propose to hunt are owned by the State, not the Federal government. You can do anything you like on Federal ground , but the game that inhabits that ground is owned and managed by the State. The State of Wyoming is far too generous in the percentage of non-resident tags it gives out compared to surrounding States. IMO anyway.
Well that is nice to know, but this is referring to New Mexico. Wyoming would have enough money to manage their game if it relied on resident license and tag revenue only.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Under the new system, many antelope units in NM will offer 0 tags to the non-resident, non-guided hunter!

according to my math, a unit MUST have 17 tags available to potentially offer up to 1 tag for the non-guided-non-resident hunter!

in the future NM is going to have to change this ASAP! and at least offer 1 tag to the non-res non-guided hunter.
ie., instead of say 1st rifle having 15tags and 2nd rifle having 25tags, they should at least have 17 in 1st, and 23 in 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_Dubya

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
according to my math, a unit MUST have 17 tags available to potentially offer up to 1 tag for the non-guided-non-resident hunter!
I was under the impression that a unit had to have at least 13 tags available to potentially offer up to 1 tag for the non-guided-non-reds hunter.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I was under the impression that a unit had to have at least 13 tags available to potentially offer up to 1 tag for the non-guided-non-reds hunter.
My understanding...

.06 x 17 = 1.02 tags = 1 tag issued
.06 x 16 = .96 = no tag.
.06 x 13 = .78 = no tag.

according to some other publications.... they're saying many of these 15 tag units will not round up, and not issue a non-res non-guided tag...

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
PS- Maybe I should stop talking and increase my own odds.... jk.

I'm assuming many non-res-non-guided, nrng, will be applying for hunts with 0 tags...

Skibum81

Sep 18, 2015
Denver, CO
Does anyone else think there might be an uptick in odds this year from people not applying with all the craziness going on in the world. I know 2 people that didn't apply because they were worried. Anyone else?

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Does anyone else think there might be an uptick in odds this year from people not applying with all the craziness going on in the world. I know 2 people that didn't apply because they were worried. Anyone else?
Who knows how people think these days. Most sports persons are pretty conservative, but I would think less would be more likely than more.
The forcing to by license upfront just about caused me not to enter. I know for a fact. If there was any kind of point system. I would not have entered the draw.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I would guess there will be significantly fewer applicants...but one thing we’ve learned this week is people are crazy and don’t always make rational decisions. Good thing is for New Mexico we’ll know in a month. I know by the time I put in 4 family members (including me) in NM for deer, elk and antelope the bill was pretty large, over $5k.