6.8 Western

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
What does everyone think of this one?

The published performance numbers sure look good to me. Not that a rifle can be easily had with all the shortages right now, but man, it looks like Browning & Winchester may have engineered a winner. The twist rate in the production rifles sure look to support the longer streamlined bullets. About the only negative I see here is a little more case capacity might be nice, but then again, this thing appears pretty darn efficient as it is in generating some decent speed without the heavier recoil of some of the traditional magnums. 🤠

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Actually because it is new rifles and ammo can be found easier then other calibers.

As for the cartridge itself, the finaly came out with a round that hasn't been done before.

Only time will tell

Reactions: Prerylyon

memtb

Pretty much a 270 Win. magnum....with a fancy name! If you have a 270 Win. and want a bit more......run a reamer in it making it a 270 AI! Lots of 270 Win. brass available.....or make it from 30-06, 25-06, maybe even 280 Rem. Then worring about a brass shortage is a non-issue! Just my thoughts on the issue! memtb

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Actually because it is new rifles and ammo can be found easier then other calibers.

As for the cartridge itself, the finaly came out with a round that hasn't been done before.

Only time will tell
Last I looked, which was just a couple weeks ago, I couldn't find a production model 70 chambered for it. 😕

Winchester says they make them??

Did see some Brownings.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The thing that makes the 6.8 Western is the rate of twist of the rifling enabling it to stabilize those longer bullets which will have a higher BC for better accuracy at longer ranges.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Last I looked, which was just a couple weeks ago, I couldn't find a production model 70 chambered for it. 😕

Winchester says they make them??

Did see some Brownings.
I've seen a few Brownings but no Winchesters either. But I have seen quite a bit of ammo for it sitting on shelves gathering dust since not that many have a rifle for it yet. I have a friend in Utah who picked one up along with all the ammo that he needs for a while since he isn't a reloader.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Pretty much a 270 Win. magnum....with a fancy name! If you have a 270 Win. and want a bit more......run a reamer in it making it a 270 AI! Lots of 270 Win. brass available.....or make it from 30-06, 25-06, maybe even 280 Rem. Then worring about a brass shortage is a non-issue! Just my thoughts on the issue! memtb
Yeah, I hear ya; the 270 WSM is brought up a lot in these comps, but AFAIK the twist rate on those standard production barrels can't best handle the newer, long, heavier high BC bullets; no doubt a real good gunsmith probably could whip something sweet up in a custom rig.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've seen a few Brownings but no Winchesters either. But I have seen quite a bit of ammo for it sitting on shelves gathering dust since not that many have a rifle for it yet. I have a friend in Utah who picked one up along with all the ammo that he needs for a while since he isn't a reloader.
Does he like it? Any usage on game?

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
not opposed to the 6.8 or 270wsm

but I think for most the
300wsm w/150gr @ 3300 fps offers more options and is better choice.

with the bigger bore, the 300 needs less barrel to accomplish the same velocities.

so unless you really want to shoot far 600-1000yrds... and or must have a 26" barrel etc...

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've convinced myself that I am in the market for a gun that's sensibly lethal on big game out to 500 yards-(with practice, of course)-in a production rifle. Something with reasonable recoil (I hate recoil! I know, I'm a wuss) that can push heavier, high BC bullets with enough speed to seal the deal @ 500 yards. My beloved .280 REM is running out of gas out there. This 6.8 Western could be the 'promised one'...lol 😂

Was getting close to forking over the cash for a Sendero in .264 WIN MAG, then all these new 6.5 rounds came out, and now this one. I guess it's good to have choices, and at the same time nice to see the manufacturers developing new stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskyMusky

memtb

I've convinced myself that I am in the market for a gun that's sensibly lethal on big game out to 500 yards-(with practice, of course)-in a production rifle. Something with reasonable recoil (I hate recoil! I know, I'm a wuss) that can push heavier, high BC bullets with enough speed to seal the deal @ 500 yards. My beloved .280 REM is running out of gas out there. This 6.8 Western could be the 'promised one'...lol 😂

Was getting close to forking over the cash for a Sendero in .264 WIN MAG, then all these new 6.5 rounds came out, and now this one. I guess it's good to have choices, and at the same time nice to see the manufacturers developing new stuff.

There’s nothing wrong with having a long range hunting rifle, just be careful with bullet selection! Some bullets are so fragil that if you happen upon an animal at “close range”.......you may have to do a “reverse stalk”! 😂 memtb

• Haha
Reactions: DRUSS and Prerylyon

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL

6.5 PRC looks pretty cool.
270wsm with some of those 145/150grainers might do the job.
6.8 also an option.
that 300wsm with 150 should kick less than 180+ grainers.

there's always a muzzle brake, but not my favorite.

.257wby....
6.5-300wby
6.5 RPM...

let us know what you choose.

PS- not sure what the .280 AI gets you that the 280rem doesn't? might be an easy fix.
if they ever came out with a 284 RPM I think that would be a nice rebore.

Reactions: Prerylyon and memtb

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
There is definitely truth to the above ^^

My 300 WSM shoots with a lot less recoil with 150 grain Winchester Silvertip bullets. I shot a whitetail in Nebraska in the back of the lungs at 400 yards right on the nose and the bullet was stuck in the hide on the other side. So that gives you an idea on penetration factor.

Strangely enough I shot a mule deer with it at 75 yards another year and the bullet was also stuck in the hide on the other side.....So I dont know what it proves...lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Bullet expansion and how far it penetrates has been a strange subject for years.

A number of years ago I was shooting 150 grain Seirra Game Kings out of a 7mm Rem mag at roughly 3200 fps. I had a cow elk broadside at 20 yards. I hit her through the ribs and lungs, the bullet came to rest on the far side hide it didn't hit any ribs on its way through. She ran 100 yards where I put a finishing shot into her. Now same bullet type, same loading. I shot another cow elk at 200 yards through the ribs and lungs, didn't hit a bone going in or coming out, it was a complete pass through. Now how far that bullet traveled after passing through I have no idea.

The question is why did the one at 20 yards come to rest on the far side hide where the one at 200 yards was a complete pass through?

Both elk were dead from the first shot with the 20 yard one taking a second shot to finish it and the 200 yard one dropping in her tracks.

But back to the 6.8 Western, the main reason that I have read that they developed it was so that a heaver .277 bullet could be shot over what was available for the ..270 Winchester, or the .270 WSM. They achieved this with a 1:8 twist rifling. The longer bullets have a higher BC than any of the other .277 bullets out there. So it will give better performance at longer ranges in both energy and velocity when it gets to the target at the extended range.

If you want to compare this round to quite a few others they you will need to up the BC of the different round a certain percentage and in doing so you may not be able to stabilize the bullet just because of the rate of twist of the barrel. In my book the 6.8 Western may be a winner for those who prefer a .277 bullet, but if you prefer a 6.5mm, .30, or other caliber then that is fine.

memtb

Jim, I can make a somewhat educated guess on your bullet penetration results. The higher impact velocity (close range shot) caused the bullet to upset to it’s maximum diameter and perhaps (probably) lost more weight than did the longer distance shot.....hence the appearance of “less” penetration. JMO

There is also a “school of thought” in handgun hunting when using wide metplat handgun bullets.....penetration is somewhat lessened when impact velocities on flesh exceed 1200 or so fps using the same bullets from the same handgun. The theory being, the flt nosed bullet at the higher velocity displaces more tissue and the shockwave (my word) actually hinders penetration. Not saying less penetration....just not linear to the velocity increase! John Linebaugh of https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/photos, has done a lot of research and experimentation on this subject.

I experienced the same thing when I went from my standard 375 H&H to mt 375 AI using the same bullets albeit 200 fps higher mv. In 1991, a bullet that I was very happy with, was a complete disappointment on a close range (high velocity) shot on an elk from the AI. A 270 grain bullet, broadside, behind the shoulder, only hitting a rib (and lungs) failed to exit. I

I expect more from my buleet from this cartridge. I immediately changed bullets , a 270 grain Barns (the original Barnes X) , and have only recovered 1 bullet. A stern to bow shot on a small bull elk..... a lot of ham muscle shattering the pelvis (I hit just to the left of my desired point of impact), a coule feet of gut, penetrated the diaphram, , left lung, exiting in the front leg pit, reentered the upper leg, reentered the upper leg, passing through the muscle (no bone contact), stopping under the hide on the offside of the leg! If you were counting, this was three (3) hide penetrations...... hide offers a great amount of resistance to bullet penetration! The recovered bullet weighed 257 grains....having broken off one “petal”! This is what I want and expect from a bullet......Barnes’ have been my only bullet since then, with no disappointments. My only changes have been changing bullets as Barnes improved their technology!

Though, I must confess that I dropped down to a lighter bullet (I hate light bullets), the 250 TTSX, for the much improved BC’s over the 270 grain TSX. I will go back up to the 270 LRX, when they become available and I used-up some of the 250’s! memtb

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
6.5 PRC looks pretty cool.
270wsm with some of those 145/150grainers might do the job.
6.8 also an option.
that 300wsm with 150 should kick less than 180+ grainers.

there's always a muzzle brake, but not my favorite.

.257wby....
6.5-300wby
6.5 RPM...

let us know what you choose.

PS- not sure what the .280 AI gets you that the 280rem doesn't? might be an easy fix.
if they ever came out with a 284 RPM I think that would be a nice rebore.
Yeppers. Been going back & forth on it for a few yrs now. In just that time, a few of these newer calibers came on the scene. One thing the 6.8 has going for it is the variety of .277 bullets out there; lots of choices if you wanted to load down, as well.

Reactions: memtb