6.5 Creedmore Ammo

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I am not looking at getting into reloading, but i have some questions.

I am a totals guy, so with that said, what would it cost to get into reloading with nothin?
No brass, no bullets, no powder, no primers, no press, no dies, ect, ect
Lets start with 50 rounds of 300 win mag for ease of use.
would $1000.00 cover everything you would need? Like i said, you have nothing, and you are starting from scratch.
Just thinking out loud, but you could do it for less than $600, less than $500 pre-scamdemic

Reactions: mustang8

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Here are some rough estimates

A whole kit that will have 90% of what you need as far as tools will run you anywhere from $250+ with a good RCBS or Hornady running you $450

Dies for your caliber and a shell holder $40 for the dies and around $5 for the shell holder.

Brass, I like Hornady $50 for 50

Primers Federal 215's $8 for 50 but the smallest package that you will find them is 100 per box.

Bullets, lets go with a premium Barnes 168 grain TTSX $51 per 50

Powder, lets go with some RL 17 for $44 per pound. Guessing 70 grains per load you'll get 114 loads out of that pound bottle so around $19 for your 50 rounds.

So we are up to around $623 for your 50 rounds just starting out you can go cheaper on bullets and a loading press so about -$200 on the press but just a few bucks with the bullets.

Then you also need to figure that you need a work bench to mount the press to. A solid bench out of 2x6's works quite well or your work bench out in the garage.

I got most of those prices off of Midways web site.

So if you look at the long term of things, most of that brass should last you at least 5 loadings. Then once you decide on a powder you can purchase it in 5 or 8 lb jugs for less than you can buy it in the 1 pound jugs. If you want you can figure in your time, but like any hobby what is time?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Good to know.
The thing that scares me about reloading is, you have to be very detail oriented, and I am most definitely a big picture guy. Those pesky little details, just get in my way. Lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It isn't as detailed oriented as a lot think that it is.

You should be able to shoot a case 3 or 4 times before it needs to be trimmed. Primer pockets and fairly clean through a couple of loadings, and for bullet seating depth you can just use a factory load to start with. The powder measures is the only thing that you must pay attention to but once you get into it the process flows quite well.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Good to know.
The thing that scares me about reloading is, you have to be very detail oriented, and I am most definitely a big picture guy. Those pesky little details, just get in my way. Lol
I thought the same thing, but its actually quite easy.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
It is intimidating but there are so many guys with great utube channels that will walk you through it . You can get as deep into it as you want but once you do it a few times its really quite easy. Gives me something to do in the off season. My initial setup i got off craigslist for 200.00

Reactions: mustang8 and tim

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For those who might think about getting into loading check with gun clubs in your area. They may have a bench set up somewhere.

When I started there was a feed store that had some presses set up and you could use theirs as long as you purchased the components from them.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
I have thought recently about this myself. 30 years ago I loaded my waterfowl loads and it was pretty easy. Till steel was required & quit Wasn’t sure about the difficulty about reloading rifle ammo, but from the talk here it doesn’t sound to difficult? Might have to check it out. Thx