6.5 Creedmoor

Bullcan

Oct 6, 2016
I have resisted getting one so far, but keep hearing a lot of good things about this. One of the things that appeals to me is the light recoil. Recoil on my 30-06 does not bother me hunting or doing some practice, but it is punishing if you practice too much. I am thinking if I am not getting pounded I might practice more.
My main question is what everyone here thinks about this for elk ? I have heard conflicting thoughts on it for anything larger than deer sized game. Also, if you had to get one, what would it be ? Looking at the Kimber Mountain Ascent, anyone have experience with this rifle ?

Bullcan

Oct 6, 2016
I just saw a post on this in the Elk forum. So my main question is what are the thoughts on the Kimber Mountain Ascent ? Worth the $$$ ?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
There are better options at that price point than the Kimber. A lot of people have had issues with them. Take a look at the 6.5 PRC
The 6.5 PRC is a good round. If lightweight is what you are interested in check out the new Savage 110 with the Carbon barrel.

Reactions: CODAK

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I have a Savage 110 in 7mm-08 and can confirm it's a great gun. I imagine it's as good in any caliber. Great trigger.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
I know a lot of people use them for elk but there are much better choices for such a tough animal. Your 30-06 is perfect for elk as far as I'm concerned. Why not put a better recoil pad on and see if that mellows it out. But buy all means buy a new gun just for the sake of having another rifle.

Reactions: gonhunting247

Bullcan

Oct 6, 2016
I know a lot of people use them for elk but there are much better choices for such a tough animal. Your 30-06 is perfect for elk as far as I'm concerned. Why not put a better recoil pad on and see if that mellows it out. But buy all means buy a new gun just for the sake of having another rifle.
I think that is it, I am always looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle