50 by 50

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Well made it through all the holidays and 3 day weekends plus super bowl and came to realize that in 195 days I turn 50. Been going to the gym since last September and have built up my strength and some stamina which I was lacking and causing injury's. I hired a personal trainer and it really helped me be accountable for showing up. My weight has dropped some but is now back to where I was when I started after several events and a cruise. Now to tackle the diet end of this and loose the weight I need to too truly be active and healthy.

The trainer has tried a couple of different meal plans and I don't stick to them really well, so based on talking to him and my wife's trainer we joined weight watchers. We eat out often and the point system seems really straight forward and easy. They have a bar code reader that made shopping super simple and fast this weekend. I preset some meals that I tend to eat on a regular biases .

So now for the goals

28 weeks = 196 day till I'm half a century old
50 lbs weight loss by labor day weekend
finish the cough potato to 5k program ( I'm really good at the first 4 or 5 day then I would get hurt started this 3 or 4 times now)
complete a 5k
to the 5k to 10 k program
complete a 10 k

50 lbs works out to just a touch more then 1.7 lbs on average per week I think that this is realistic as I progress threw this and my metabolism speeds up.

The reason I'm making this post is hopefully to have some encouragement like the old big man challenge did for some folks on here and to hold myself accountable each week with updates. If anyone wants to join me in setting some goals to reach by Labor Day chime in and lets encourage each other.

I forgot that my reward is either a sheep hunt and being able to enjoy it ( if I draw as its about the only thing I'm not on a waiting list for) and I will go and get a Mt. lion this year and scratch it of my bucket list.

I will weight in on Fridays my starting weight today

week 1 day 1 = 225

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I dropped just over 20 pounds in a few months just changing the amount I eat at meal time, cutting out snacks, mostly after supper. Still eat whatever just less of it, and just find some go to activity that you'll do regardless of the day.

Good luck, you can do it!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just wait until you are 60, the pounds come out of nowhere and it takes forever to get rid of them.

But I am just 3 years shy of 70 so it is going to get even worse.

Reactions: nv-hunter

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I am heading rapidly in the direction of 40 I hunted hogs in the mountains by myself (crawling in and through mountain laurell all day) on Saturday (with 0 success...) and then I ran a chainsaw from daylight to dark Sunday. Hauling and stacking brush/small timber on my property.

If a true test of how in shape you are is running a chainsaw for 10 + hours then I can tell you I'm in trouble....lol

I hope not many of you have had the pleasure of cutting Chinese privet.

Bottom line is that yesterday morning I was not sure if I will survive to see 50. So dont be too hard on yourself. lol

Reactions: nv-hunter

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Throwing in my 2 sense here in hopes to help.
Lean muscle mass is what old people, men or women lose. Period. That then leads to many other issues.

Focus on building and maintaining lean muscle mass through weightlifting, cardio and counting macros to reach your goals.

Lastly when counting macros.....most do not eat enough lean protein to maintain and or build lean muscle mass. 0.7 to 1.0 gram per body weight is what you need per day. Build your meal plans around that.

Hope that helps someone.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Throwing in my 2 sense here in hopes to help.
Lean muscle mass is what old people, men or women lose. Period. That then leads to many other issues.

Focus on building and maintaining lean muscle mass through weightlifting, cardio and counting macros to reach your goals.

Lastly when counting macros.....most do not eat enough lean protein to maintain and or build lean muscle mass. 0.7 to 1.0 gram per body weight is what you need per day. Build your meal plans around that.

Hope that helps someone.
I will echo these comments. Also, don't base everything on the scale. Determine how you feel and look as well. Take a before picture to keep you motivated on where you started and to visualize your success. Also, don't look to social media and magazines to compare your journey to others. We all have different body types and needs.
Lastly, Yes, shoot for 50lb, but try to hit a 25lb loss first. I'm willing to bet you may not end up needing to lose 50.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Bone and Slugz

I hate the whole counting thing and my wife's trainer has her counting macros I follow it some but not close. Her trainer suggested the weight watchers because of us eating out so much and lectures me in a good way about getting enough protein. She goes over my diet and suggests ways to increase my protein intake every week I found a great place and all the trainers have helped even tho I'm not their client. The trainers at the gym are all jealous of the elk and deer I have access to not to mention the bottom fish and tuna we caught last year. Its fun to tell them I had a steak and see them wishing they could have one guilt free because its elk.

50 by 50 just sounded better then 45 by 50 lol I will see how it all pans out but between 170 and 180 is where I'd like to be and maintain. I'm not big on the scale just once a week for the ww program mostly judge by how much easier things are to do like hiking or building fence those fun things.I've been talking to my trainer and as I progress I'll add a day of weights to the 2 I'm doing now. And start doing some more HIIT type stuff in the coming months to keep progressing forward.

This group on here has helped with info in other posts and even tho it costs some money the trainer was the best thing I did as he stopped me from over doing things and getting hurt or so sore I couldn't go back to the gym for days. Let me tell you it was pretty embarrassing to be handed 8 lb weight for presses that first day but they were about all I could lift by the end of the hour doing different exercises. I always tell him I can do any move once but its that last one after an hour of working out that's the killer. I've come a long way already and can tell a difference .

Funny story about the second week I went to the gym we did abs and I didn't feel too bad during the work out and cool down headed out to the truck and when I reached to release the parking break I about broke a tooth on the steering wheel when I cramped from the movement.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Good Luck!

Good to have goals,

I would put the most focus on doing the work... and exercising regularly and eating decently as part of your lifestyle.

ie., trend in the right direction.... I find a lot of people go from Zero to Hero...and then it doesn't stick...

choose the long term health plan...

Reactions: Bonecollector

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
First weigh in end of week 1

weight 222 ( down 3 )
weight training x2 legs ( still sore from Tuesday LOL ) shoulders and arms Thursday
runs x2 3.34 mile ( Monday and Wednesday ) I will run tonight and add it to week 2 totals

Not a bad week pretty sore from leg day but worked through it and still did the couch to 5k runs .
Diet was ok the ww app is pretty easy to use and stay with just wish it would track daily protein levels to be able to see totals. Ate out a couple times ( wife's 50 bday and last night just because of the gym times) and could enjoy it and stay with in the program

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Great job on week one! Something to keep in mind and I’m sure you’re already aware, is it it’s tough to eat healthy while eating out. But if you try to reduce your bread and other carbs in addition to not drinking soda this will greatly help. Also don’t think that simply switching to salads is a big help because often times the croutons bacon cheese dressing at a lot of empty calories. Just try to choose wisely. It’s a lifestyle not a diet and after a couple weeks it will be like an old hat. Pulling for you buddy!

Reactions: marcusvdk

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Bone

Thanks for the encouragement. The nice thing with the weight watchers app is you can create meals and stay with in your point amount. I'm a iced tea drinker when I'm not drinking beer. So that part is easy and been doing side salads with no cheese or crotons and oil and vinegar dressing. Just a little oil and lots of vinegar for the flavor.

Last night for example I split a grilled chicken buffalo sandwich with the wife and had a cup of vegetable soup plus the salad.

The night before for her bday I stuck with ceviche and chili verde no rice and only ate about a 1/4 cup of beans. No chips or tortillas

I feel like all I do is eat but most of it is protein or vegies

Been using the salads to fill up before dinner and eating my proteins after so I keep portions size down . It helps that she is doing it too

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
So I changed my caloric intake a week ago (2/25/2020)... I weighed myself that day and then this morning. Lost 2.5lbs. With that, I modified my proteins/fats to carbohydrates ratio to slightly less carbs. In the past this is how my body naturally cut off the weight. Next is getting out on the mountain bike get my leg strength back, improve cardio. See how all this goes!! 🚵🏼‍♂️🚵🏼‍♂️

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Week 2 results

weight 218.5 ( down 3.5 for the week and 6.5 total)

weights x 2 ( shoulders and arms, back and core

runs x 3 5.15 miles total ( need to find running shoes have 3 pair and haven't found any that don't hurt my feet yet taking suggestions)

Really liking the experience this time enjoying the gym and the jogging. I wish my feet wouldn't hurt so bad but having issues finding a shoe that fits my arch. I'm going to a running store this weekend to check out and if that doesn't help to someplace to get custom inserts.
I missed the working out over last weekend ( rest days ) so went for a hike with my wife the eating is easier as I want to make the better choice and actually have been craving salads if I don't have one with my meal. Had lasagna the other night and only ate half of what I ordered and felt like I ate a brick . But I can still fit those foods into my diet and still lose weight just my portions are way smaller now. I like that I can eat things I'm craving and still stay within the program, we even hit the brunch buffet last weekend I stuck with proteins and the salad bar . Its changed how I approach eating already.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I'm not a big fan of inserts etc...

going from couch/never runs, to runner....takes time... your foot will build strength etc...

of course you don't want to run in worn out dead shoes...so yea get a new pair that fits and feels good...and go from there...

your body and feet will take time to accommodate this...

good luck, listen to your body, don't push through pain because you think you should or can...

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Check your weight daily or every other day. This has helped me tremendously. Instead of, where did this 5-10 lbs come from, I immediately know when I'm getting out of my ideal range and bring it down ASAP. Portion control is huge. Avoid 2nd helpings. Make a time in the evening after which you can't eat. This has always been a struggle of mine to this day. I'm an avid exerciser mostly because I've always enjoyed cardio which makes things a lot easier for me. Biking in particular. If I could only run I would be in trouble. Time slows down when I'm running and I look forward to the end more so than the activity. I make myself run for cross training. When I'm biking time passes quickly. Point is, find an activity that you truly enjoy, and more likely than not you'll do it. I can't remember where I read/heard this, "You can't out exercise a bad diet." The older I've gotten the more this rings true.

Keep in mind, in order to burn fat, you must burn through the stored glycogen in your liver and muscles. Your body will burn the stored glycogen (chains of sugar) before it thinks about touching the fat. FYI.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Your foot at 18years of age versus now is very different. Do exactly what you said. Go to a high end running store. Tell them exactly your activities and activity level. They will scan your foot and come back out with 3 or 4 ones to try. Dont pick based upon color. Let ur feet tell you.
Additionally figure out if you are a heal, toe or even striker on your stride. Adjusting it makes a huge difference on wear and tear on the knees. Even and balanced is what to strive for.

Lastly, if you have a normal arch then most likely insoles are not needed. If not get em.

Just my 2 sense on what a Dr told me and what I did.

Last edited: