300 Weatherby and 180 gr Swift Scirocco 2 bullets

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
All,
Contemplating the hunt tools... I worked on a load for a 300 WBY rifle last year and gave up the process for a known and proven round.
I am loading for a Rem 700 with a 300 WBY chamber
It is not a long throat like the Weatherby rifles

I am finding that the Swift Company recommends a Max of 81.0 of IMR7828 This is my chosen powder from good results with Nosler BT & ABs , I am open to powder suggestions.

Does anyone have direct experience with this bullet in the 3000-3100 fps muzzle velocities ? The construction is great -Jacket thickness and bonding and a high BC of .520 .....sounds so very good.

I would like to get your experienced opinions.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I have no experince with the Scirroco’s, Just wondering why the switch? I too run 7828 with 180 Accu-bonds and they shoot about 1/2 moa and are killing machines.

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
I have been reading (no direct experience) that they come apart in close. The last bull was taken at 30 yards with a 160 gr partition from a 280 AI...Bang flop. The one time I used a traditional cup & draw BT the bullets broke up badly at 275 +/- yds and I am concerned about that happening again. Good shots, good placement and poor bullet performance on the animal = no more cup & draw for me.
Ive had the 300 WBY for 20 years and its been a safe queen, its a Jarrett made rifle and it needs to earn its keep. The MV of my AB loads in the 300 WBY is 3,225 fps, will the bullet hold up up close? Several of my kills/shots have been within 50 yards and this concerns me. Being an out of state hunter with limited elk hunting opportunities I do not get the exposure many of you have, thus the question. My next hunt is a late season ..mid October in a few years so I have time to get it ready. The last two years reports on teh AB is either that they blow up/fall apart or they are better than Partitions. The Scirocco 2s are very heavily constructed, thats the draw.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
I shot them out of my 300wthyb omg maybe like 16 years ago. I switched to accubonds 180grn

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a custom .300 Wby (Commercial Mauser action, Shilen match SS barrel, B & C composite stock) that I built. It shoots sub moa groups out to 500 yds (furthest I've shot it). I too has a short throat (freebore).

My elk/moose load is 86.5 gr of RE25 with Nosler 180 gr Partition bullets. It chronographs at 3240 fps.

I have been loading Nosler Partition for years and don't intend to change as long as I can get them. Probably have enough to last (about100) as I don't plan on changing loads. They really do well on bigger animals, good penetration even when hitting bone and they don't come apart. They mushroom well and retain most of their mass.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I have been reading (no direct experience) that they come apart in close. The last bull was taken at 30 yards with a 160 gr partition from a 280 AI...Bang flop. The one time I used a traditional cup & draw BT the bullets broke up badly at 275 +/- yds and I am concerned about that happening again. Good shots, good placement and poor bullet performance on the animal = no more cup & draw for me.
Ive had the 300 WBY for 20 years and its been a safe queen, its a Jarrett made rifle and it needs to earn its keep. The MV of my AB loads in the 300 WBY is 3,225 fps, will the bullet hold up up close? Several of my kills/shots have been within 50 yards and this concerns me. Being an out of state hunter with limited elk hunting opportunities I do not get the exposure many of you have, thus the question. My next hunt is a late season ..mid October in a few years so I have time to get it ready. The last two years reports on teh AB is either that they blow up/fall apart or they are better than Partitions. The Scirocco 2s are very heavily constructed, thats the draw.
No experience on elk 😔, or bigger game, but I shot a whitetail with a 180 AB at 75 yards just below the white fur patch on the neck and got the bullet where the hind quarter met the backstrap, traveled 3’ through the deer & weighed 163grs, pretty good in my book. Mine chrono at 3165ish.