3 RESIDENT Preference Points for elk in 2012

Walleye

Feb 28, 2011
I'm looking at any season in 57/58, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in 20, MZ in 12/24/23, MZ in 33,23,24 and lastly unit 49 for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th seasons.

I haven't narrowed it down much, but I should be able to draw most of these tags. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience in these units or could give me a push in the right direction.

I'm 30 yo, in good shape as I do a half marathon each spring and multiple 14ers each summer. I'd prefer to car camp, DIY, and I'd just be looking for a decent bull(4x4 or better), although really any legal would do!

Thanks!
Brian

nwwa huner

Jun 29, 2011
I don't know anything about these units but I drew a muzzleloader tag last year and had a better experience because it was in the rut. I would say the weather in the ml season would be nice, you can actively backpack anywhere without snow and be in the rut. With 2-4th seasons you may get migration bc of snow or pressure to private and no rut. Good luck

bowhuntress

Aug 26, 2011
NW Colorado
there are LOTS of elk in 12/24/23 just not very many of them are big. Should be a good hunt and you may have to get off the beaten path to find them. Weather will make a difference on how far down the mountain they are and where they are located but ML is a great time to be out hunting the rut! Good luck this fall.

Walleye

Feb 28, 2011
I'd like to hunt MZ in 12/24/23, but after hunting 1st season there last year with a cow tag I didn't see any 6x6 bulls out of the 15-20 bulls I saw in pickups and on horses. That being said I will likely hunt a limited unit during rifle 1st season or during a late season. While I'm not expecting a huge bull in these units it is fun knowing the possibility exists. And no antler point restriction increases the odds of success and bringing home meat.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
Unit 49 has some big bulls. If you can draw a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rifle tag look at the lower portions of the Buffalo Peaks wilderness area. I would monitor snow levels as the hunt gets close and then call a wildlife biologist and pick his brain.

Walleye

Feb 28, 2011
49 was actually my 2nd choice of these units. I put in for a late season front range tag.
Wish I could hunt them both though!

Walleye

Feb 28, 2011
I realize that. I meant it was my second choice out of my 1st choice options. I put in last year for MZ in 12/24/23, but didn't draw. This year my 2nd choice will be cow elk 12/23/24 1st rifle. Hopefully ES 4th season leftover if it comes to that.