270 WSM or 7mmWSM?

norcalhunter

Mar 29, 2011
Nor Cal
Looking to buy a new rifle soon in 270WSM or 7mmWSM but heard the 7mmWSM is on its way out. I am not a reloader or keep up with all the different calibers. I want a gun where it is easy to find ammo for it. I currently shoot a Browning A-bolt in 30-06 and a Tikka in 300WSM. I'm leaning toward a X-bolt or Savage. Any suggestions?

T43

I love my 7 WSM but ammo selection is limited. My gun seems to like all of the factory loads I have tried and I have the stuff to tune in some reloads if I ever get time. If ammo selection is a deciding factor the 270 WSM is a better option with the 300 WSM probably on top of the WSM factory load leaderboard.

Wags

Feb 20, 2013
Nodak
Why not .270 win? even more ammo availability and from what im seeing reloading for a buddy that shoots the wsm version - the difference in muzzle velocity is not eye popping enough for me to sweep the tried and true 270 win. under the rug. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have a couple of 270 WSMs and really liked them, and I think you will like yours, norcalhunter.

The muzzle velocity advantage over the 270 WIN is pretty big, IMO.

The issue I had with both of mine was throat wear. They only went around 1500 rounds. The cartridge is pretty intense.

Good luck!

Wags

Feb 20, 2013
Nodak
My take is - .270 win will be cheaper to shoot. The more you shoot, the better shot you will be. Tho I have generally gotten about 150- 200 fps more out of the wsm but as you said it comes at a cost of throat life. taking generic 130 grain loads there will be a point of impact differnce of 2" (roughly) at 300 yards between the two cartridges, not make or break imo. I really dont care what people shoot, just get out there and shoot! and shoot some more!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Wags,

The 270 Win is a great caliber too, for sure!

With 140s I always got about 250 to even 300 more out of my WSM, and both of mine seemed to be most accurate running hot velocities (good for ballistics, bad for throats). The performance advantage shows up a little better further out than 300.

In any case, either will do!

norcalhunter

Mar 29, 2011
Nor Cal
This gun won't be used a lot for recreational shooting. I would be surprised if I shot 2-3 boxes a year with it. It will be mainly used for deer/antelope hunts.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
They wern't talking about "recreational" shooting. The more you shoot a rifle, the better shot you become. Just like any sport...practice, practice, practice. I make it a practice (pun intended!) to spend lots of time at the range shooting my hunting guns, be it a rifle (s) or shotgun (s). It is $$$ and time well spent.

Rasmussen

Feb 10, 2013
Love my 270 wsm. I wish they made a bullet with a higher ballistic coefficient. Something around .650 would be awesome. I shoot 140 accubond.

norcalhunter

Mar 29, 2011
Nor Cal
They wern't talking about "recreational" shooting. The more you shoot a rifle, the better shot you become. Just like any sport...practice, practice, practice. I make it a practice (pun intended!) to spend lots of time at the range shooting my hunting guns, be it a rifle (s) or shotgun (s). It is $$$ and time well spent.
I was trying to say that I don't think I will hit the 1500 round mark for quite some time. Obviously the more you shoot the better shot you become.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
For deer and antelope I think you are right on with the 270 but if you ever consider larger animals in the future you may want to consider the 7wsm. My last 4 elk have dropped in their tracks. I shoot 7wsm with 160 NP and I am VERY pleased.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Since you already have a 30-06 and a 300 WSM, I would buy a 270WSM just to mix it up and fill that void. I have one in a Browning A-bolt II Stainless Stalker and its super accurate with factory ammo. I shoot the Winchester Supreme with 130 grain Ballistic silver tips and it puts three shots into .350 inch groups at 100 yards. Most accurate rifle I own with Factory ammo!!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have killed a couple bulls with the 270WSM. Performance was excellent.

As I noted, I like the 270 WSM for the factory ammo guy.

I do like the 7 WSM for the handloader though. Cool cartridge.