270 Weatherby Magnum bullet selection

DavidG

Apr 7, 2022
Thanks for your reply Jim.
I’m partial, perhaps too partial, to the 270…. And to make maters worse, I really like the No. 1.
I’ve had a No.1 in 270 win for several decades and finally developed a receipt for the Swift A 140 gr that has
done well for me on elk so far. Hoping to get similar results with the 270 wby. But so far shooting weatherby faculty ammo has yet to produce results I’d be comfortable with on game animals in the Rockies.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
For what it's worth I'm a fan of Weatherby and Nosler partitions.
I have a 257 WBY Vanguard that shoots the little Accubonds really well.
I have a 340 WBY Alaskan Mark V that hates Accubonds but loves partitions.
My 270 WBY ULWT Mark V loves Barnes TSX. It shoots partitions okay but not as good as TSX.

We just got back from Africa and my daughters shot 5 animals with the 270 WBY and Barnes 130 grain TSX. Farthest shot 300 yds. No complaints! I shot a kudu with my 340 and 250 g partition at 280 yds. DOA
I like partitions, not so much Accubonds. I liked the results from TSX bullets but I've only seen those 5 African animals killed with them. The largest were the 2 gemsboks. I've seen a lot of partition kills, antelope to buffalo, they work great. My youngest daughter has a 270 WIN... it's not much of an elk gun, a little bit too light.. We'll be switching her over to a 270 WBY this fall (still kind of light but better). The TSX might just be the right bullet for the little 270 on elk.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I don’t want to hijack your thread but I have a similar question. I shoot a 257 Weatherby and was pondering switching from the 110 grain Accubond that I have been shooting for mule deer to the 120 grain Partitions. My thinking was a little more knock down power. I was lucky enough to draw a sheep tag this year and want the best load. My other option would be to pull out the 300 Weatherby.

JD
JD,
I have a 257 and love it but if you're hunting sheep don't "F" around. Pull out the 300 WBY and don't look back. IMO the 300 WBY is the best all around caliber ever made (and I don't even own one).