250 mile migration

dougw

Jul 3, 2019
A single cow elk in Colorado took the long road!

Thanks for the info, it's informative but misguided. Don't get me wrong, I love to see stories about wildlife in the media....but:

The elk migration between the northwestern corner of CO and the north-central mountains is well-documented for the past ~100 years.
And using the "...to have her calf" wording is misleading, as if it's something new or unique. The elk do this for one purpose: survival. So....
cows that live here must migrate to survive, and their calves are always born on the summer range.

Simply put: many elk in northern CO spend summers in the high country near the Divide in the Steamboat-Walden areas, and spend winters out west in the desert country near Maybell/Dinosaur. This migration is routine and anyone who lives there or drives highways in that area knows all about it. It's necessary because of the weather and the drive to survive.

So, please, do your 5-min homework and elaborate a bit b4 catering to social media's buzzwords just for ratings.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Thanks for the info, it's informative but misguided. Don't get me wrong, I love to see stories about wildlife in the media....but:

The elk migration between the northwestern corner of CO and the north-central mountains is well-documented for the past ~100 years.
And using the "...to have her calf" wording is misleading, as if it's something new or unique. The elk do this for one purpose: survival. So....
cows that live here must migrate to survive, and their calves are always born on the summer range.

Simply put: many elk in northern CO spend summers in the high country near the Divide in the Steamboat-Walden areas, and spend winters out west in the desert country near Maybell/Dinosaur. This migration is routine and anyone who lives there or drives highways in that area knows all about it. It's necessary because of the weather and the drive to survive.

So, please, do your 5-min homework and elaborate a bit b4 catering to social media's buzzwords just for ratings.
Wow DougW!!! That's a heck of a 1st post. Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? We like to share good, positive stories. No need to get all negative.

• Haha
Reactions: Prerylyon and JimP

dougw

Jul 3, 2019
That ain't negative JimP, just calling it for what it is. The social media (i call it asocial media) explosion has let to so many fake news stories these days, someone's got to respond. Otherwise the whole thing's gonna implode. As we progress deeper and deeper into it, media outlets produce "news" that are short on facts and long on buzzwords. There's a time and a place for it, but unfortunately wildlife pays the price in the long run if we ignore facts and history....

dougw

Jul 3, 2019
That ain't negative JimP, just calling it for what it is. The social media (i call it asocial media) explosion has let to so many fake news stories these days, someone's got to respond. Otherwise the whole thing's gonna implode. As we progress deeper and deeper into it, media outlets produce "news" that are short on facts and long on buzzwords. There's a time and a place for it, but unfortunately wildlife pays the price in the long run if we ignore facts and history....
And JimP, just to reiterate, my argument is not against posting it on here, but in the way the story was presented in the media in the first place.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming

I'm going to do what you should have done. I read something that I didn't like, and instead of blowing a head gasket, I'm going to keep moving along.
Have a good Fourth of July, hope that doesn't offend you...

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I bet some have heard about the mule deer migration studies that have been ongoing in Wyoming on several different herds; there's some pretty cool stuff the researchers are learning about the migration corridors used and seasonal pressures on the deer durung their migration. Every so often updates on the research posted; usually WY G&F has a feature about it in their online news feeds.