JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I remember watching some of those shows on TV back in the 60's, they were great.

I remember them asking Fred Bear about shooting a brown or a polar bear with just a bow at such a close range. His response was that with a bow the bear doesn't know where anything came from where as a rifle he knows the direction that the shot came from

Reactions: Prerylyon

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My Dad has a picture of him standing with Fred at the museum.

I wish I had it with me to post.

That was back before archery was cool to most..lol

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Back in the 50"s my Dad took me to several outdoor shows where Fred Bear put on a program. I remember thinking "that guy has some huge cajones". I also remember that he said he always had a guide backing him up with a rifle. I remember he said that he took a seal skin and wrapped up in it and laid down near a hole on the ice so he looked like a seal. Seals are one of the main foods of Polar Bears. When the bear came close enough looking for dinner, he got up and shot it. My Dad also had a Bear recurve that he shot several deer with.

He was awesome, at least to a teenager!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'd sure want to know and trust the guy backing me up with a REALLY BIG rifle! I've seen maybe 20-25 polar bears in the wild and they are intimidating! I'm pretty sure I've never been brave enough to take one on with a bow!

Reactions: Prerylyon

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Back in the 50"s my Dad took me to several outdoor shows where Fred Bear put on a program. I remember thinking "that guy has some huge cajones". I also remember that he said he always had a guide backing him up with a rifle. I remember he said that he took a seal skin and wrapped up in it and laid down near a hole on the ice so he looked like a seal. Seals are one of the main foods of Polar Bears. When the bear came close enough looking for dinner, he got up and shot it. My Dad also had a Bear recurve that he shot several deer with.

He was awesome, at least to a teenager!
I had a Bear Grizzly recurve when I was a lot younger. Killed a couple Whitetails with it.