2024 NR tags

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I think it is just going to get worse as the high point guys in other states burn up their points and know they are old enough they won’t get the chance again.
The only thing that might effect this is baby boomers are starting to leave the system after they draw.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Idaho's system is a joke, even for us residents. We have several first come first serve quota zones for elk. For some reason a few of them have their own sell date, while most of them are the same day. It's a damn nightmare and has lead to me hunting non quota units. I refuse to wait several hours in hopes of a tag.
Idaho will have to go to a straight draw for NR tags for everything. It was the right thing to set quotas in the big scheme of things for management purposes. However, I will never understand why they didn't just go to a straight up draw in the first place and save everyone the giant headache the system became.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Idaho will have to go to a straight draw for NR tags for everything. It was the right thing to set quotas in the big scheme of things for management purposes. However, I will never understand why they didn't just go to a straight up draw in the first place and save everyone the giant headache the system became.
I'm 100% in Favor of the quota tags. I only wish that multiple qouta zones wouldn't go on sell on the same day at the same time. Fish and Game's systems cannot handle it. Then you got your dudes waiting in line for hours at a vendor and buy multiple tags for buddies in same quota zone, that's bogus too. I'd be ok with those quota tags all becoming CH for NR and R.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
save yourselves a headache, EAT BEEF! I used to live to hunt. then I hunted to live. now I simply hunt because I don't know how to stop. wish they made a patch.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I started hunting just for the enjoyment over 40 years ago. I also found that if you were hunting for subsistence that it was almost cheaper to just go purchase 1/2 a beef. I wonder about that now days with the price of beef.

If you are a non resident coming out west to hunt I believe that beef is still cheaper with the price of non resident tags and the cost of the trip. But you sure can't beat being here in the High Rockies with a tag in your pocket.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I started hunting just for the enjoyment over 40 years ago. I also found that if you were hunting for subsistence that it was almost cheaper to just go purchase 1/2 a beef. I wonder about that now days with the price of beef.

If you are a non resident coming out west to hunt I believe that beef is still cheaper with the price of non resident tags and the cost of the trip. But you sure can't beat being here in the High Rockies with a tag in your pocket.
I also like the challenge of me against the animal on their terms and in their habitat. You are right about the cost, it has really got out of hand, especially for a non resident. I have wanted to hunt Alaskan moose, but with the cost of a NR tag going through the roof, that is out of the question now. The other thing is I would rather eat wild big game meat than beef. I butcher all of my meat so I know what goes into my freezer bags.

Reactions: gonhunting247

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I also like the challenge of me against the animal on their terms and in their habitat. You are right about the cost, it has really got out of hand, especially for a non resident. I have wanted to hunt Alaskan moose, but with the cost of a NR tag going through the roof, that is out of the question now. The other thing is I would rather eat wild big game meat than beef. I butcher all of my meat so I know what goes into my freezer bags.
I have a couple of friends who raise beef. They have told me that if I would like a range steer to just let them know. Another one has a large enough pasture to actual raise two or three. You just need to get them before they go to the feed lots.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
idaho should quadruple the prices for nons, simply so they will stop coming.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have a couple of friends who raise beef. They have told me that if I would like a range steer to just let them know. Another one has a large enough pasture to actual raise two or three. You just need to get them before they go to the feed lots.
I have raised a few myself and have family that still do. a beef is now in the neighborhood of $3000.the biggest bonus is not having to put yourself through the shitshow of general hunts. if I don't draw, I seldom spend more than a day or two hunting anymore. these days I spend more time with my fly rod than my guns. Even on the river you have people in desperate needs of an ass beating. had a guy wade right into the hole I was fishing. right beside me like I wasn't even there . I never said a word. just crowded him into the deeper water till it went over his waders and he left. the older I get the less tolerance I have for thoughtless people.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimP