2021 Fishing

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Well new year new fishing post

Hope this year to get out ice fishing for the first time.

Got a charter on lake Superior planned again this August along with our UP trip to off grid cabin on a river filled with smallies, and trout. And hopefully get to go to Canada for bear and fishing in September depending.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am A fair weather fisher man. if there be ice, I stay home.
even in summer I hate fishing in the rain. fish don't bite when wet . ;) :ROFLMAO:
actually my best catch days have been on some of the most miserable days. days I would have happily given up and gone home if the damn fish would just stop biting!!!!!!!!!:D

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I am A fair weather fisher man. if there be ice, I stay home.
even in summer I hate fishing in the rain. fish don't bite when wet . ;) :ROFLMAO:
actually my best catch days have been on some of the most miserable days. days I would have happily given up and gone home if the damn fish would just stop biting!!!!!!!!!:D
Isnt that how it always goes they bite best when its the worse weather to sit in lol

Reactions: kidoggy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'll be in Maine Hunting snowshoe hares and ice fishing for a few days the second week of February. Its been a long time since I ice fished or ran hares with beagles for that matter.

Neither activity is very popular in the south. 😄

Reactions: marcusvdk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Ice Fishing- Not a true bucket list item for me, but I'd give it a go given the opportunity.
Still chasing WT (archery) here in Ohio.

Good luck!

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Ice Fishing- Not a true bucket list item for me, but I'd give it a go given the opportunity.
Still chasing WT (archery) here in Ohio.

Good luck!
I was never interested in trying it till the last to years when a friend from work really started talking about it a lot. And asked if i wanted to go some time last year but we never got enough ice to go. Hoping to get enough this year to try it

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I was never interested in trying it till the last to years when a friend from work really started talking about it a lot. And asked if i wanted to go some time last year but we never got enough ice to go. Hoping to get enough this year to try it
was in a bar by the lake one winter when a few guys came in to get warm. one of them had fallen through the ice and almost drown.
I will simply state that he was NOT amused by our heckelling (to soon I guess). :ROFLMAO:

I doubt he ever went out on the ice again!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Thats my biggest concern is falling through
there has been a couple times when my greatest DESIRE was to fall through. just to get out of the damn wind!!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

I do NOT enjoy freezing testicles!
that is the biggest reason I don't ice fish anymore :D

pick the right day and it can be enjoyable though

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Many years ago I purchased a fold up tent on a platform that had a couple of plastic runners underneath it. It folds up to about 3'x4' and when unfolded it gives you a tent that is 4'x6" and 5' tall. It is just right for one person but two could fish in it but it would be cramped. It works on even the coldest days even without a heater. Then with a couple of eye screws you can carry all the rest of your junk on it to pull out onto the ice. I took it out one winter at 3am to see how the fishing was at that time. It was colder than a ex wife's kiss that night but as soon as I got it up and the lantern fired up inside of it I was nice and toasty and even took off my coat as I was fishing.

I only go ice fishing once or twice a year now without it. We usually don't have to worry about thin ice but at times we have fun drilling through 4' + of ice. We have one lake that we usually fish at once a year in the winter where the ice is usually 7' + in January.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
my brother went ice fishing in wyoming with a friend several years ago. they had a similar shelter that they drug out on the ice. they didn't anchor it down and the wind caught it while he was inside fishing . took him right close to some thin ice before he got it stopped . said he thought he were gunna die that day! lol.

ten people couldn't drag him screaming, out ice fishing to this day! :ROFLMAO: