2020 Family WY Antelope Hunt

TN VOL

Jan 1, 2018
Hey guys! Looking to take my wife and 2 teenage sons on an antelope hunt..also will be taking my 7 year old daughter to camp with us and hopefully she can go on some stalks if we can find some antelope to stock. We all 4 have 1 preference point...my choices are a bit limited. I have researched gohunt, and looked over almost every antelope unit in WY on my Onx maps. I have also researched job completion reports on a number of specific units. My dilemma is: Option A: apply for a unit with limited access like Antelope unit 21 which has good success rates but extremely high hunter pressure and hike off the road quite a bit (which is fine by myself and my two sons) however, since I’m bringing my entire family..didn’t know if this was a good idea for my daughter’s first hunting experience. Option B: apply for a unit and pay the special price as a non resident to hunt a Unit with more public land so it’s a better family hunting experience. Obviously we aren’t trophying hunting But looking for a good family hunting experience that’s Diy..pm me if you want and I would appreciate any advice...Thanks!

Reactions: DH56 and bowman340

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
If you can afford the special tag price for all those tags you definitely open up some additional areas that are worth your while.

Reactions: bowman340

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Why not start with a type 6 doe/fawn tag to start with. You can get another point for everyone (no point are used for the type 6 tag), scout the country for a future buck hunt and bring home some meat. I hunt does quite a bit while building points for another buck hunt and they are very cheap.

Just sayin.................

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Something that may be worth exploring., instead of paying the extra price for special, you may be able to pay a cheaper trespass fee on a ranch in an easy to draw area. I am aware of some landowners that have charged a lower fee for kids and some that allowed kids in free with a paying adult. Some of the easy to draw areas can be pretty tough hunts for kids so I would be careful during planning.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I agree with Type 6 tags in an easier access unit. Should be a much more relaxed and fun hunt for the family.

Might as well apply for Type 1 also in the same unit(s). Might be a long shot, but could get lucky in the random draw.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
If you go the antelope doe tag route look at areas that also have doe deer tags if your looking for additional time afield.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I agree with Hilltop on finding trespass fee easy to draw unit. If you enter for the special tag I don't think you get youth price tags (someone know for sure). Also from reading your post you will have up to 5 people in the field chasing antelope. It is hard enough with a couple people in the heavy hunted areas to get in shooting distance. At times I have seen antelope take off running from me at 2000 yards.
The main thing that comes to mind after reading your post. You stated you wanted a fun family hunting experience. I am not sure that would ever happen in a unit like 21. Every piece of public land will have hunters on it. They also will have little consideration for your family fun hunt. I am not saying you can't have success, but it will be full of ups and downs with frustration.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Based on what I’ve seen, I don’t think you’d have the fun family hunting experience you’re looking for in unit 21 if filling buck tags is any kind of priority. As, others have said, a doe hunt with long shot buck tags might be a good option. The best option would be to locate a trespass fee hunt. Good luck.

Alpha Male

Feb 28, 2014
New Jersey
It seems like you have the extra money for a trespass fee since you are considering special tags. Use your onx app to contact landowners in units with lots of private. There's landowners that will lease you quite a bit of land for the money you would spend on special tags and you will have it all to yourself.