2016 - Oregon planning

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Iron Mike, you are making me hungry thinking about grain fed WT doe... You are right, it is fantastic. My brother took an Oregon mulie buck last year that fed on field corn all summer/fall, it is great too, but not quite WT doe good. Something about grain fed critters. Good luck on your Muzzy hunt, it should be a blast.

Go get one Travis!

The Deer

Nov 24, 2013
Eastern Oregon
Travis
If you did your homework in advance you could probably get permission for the 600 series doe WT - especially if you were hunting with a youngster. I do hunt rifle for this one on a friends ranch and it really is just a meat hunt, the last two I got took all of 10 minutes apiece, but there is not a whole lot better eating then a grain fed WT Doe! Almost all the ranches in the valley are loaded with them and they are eating their grain crops. Usually takes 1 point to draw. The buck tags will cost you but as Tim says not a lot comparably. I am hunting muzzleloader in a different unit and there is plenty of public land there.

My plan is to draw PC elk and somthing out of state

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
Oregon strategy for me:
Deer-I have zero points, but will put in for and not draw the Beulah late season archery tag
Elk-I have 2 points and am trying to build them so Mt Emily big bull tag and then either buy a general archery or pick a easy to draw second choice for rifle.
Antelope-8 points and donating $8 and putting in for Hart Mt.

Premium will be Mt Emily for Elk, Buelah for Antelope and Deer

Sounds crazy, but my strategy is to not draw any tags this year and just do generals/second choice and accumulating points. Should draw a Wyoming antelope and I have a Woman and Kid that should draw some tags this year so my time will be used up there. At least with the general archery tags or second choice I won't feel too bad about not being able to go much. Also will be applying for Idaho elk and deer.

coastalarms

This year its point savers for deer and elk, might try and break out the bow and give it a shot, but its been a long time. Of course, we'll still be putting in for all the long shots, mountain goat, bighorn, antelope...

We will be doing a Wyoming trip this year for deer/antelope. It will be our first adventure in that state. Really looking forward to it!

usaf_jtac

May 6, 2016
I understand that people will likely not want to publicly share their sacred hunting grounds information, but I figure this is worth a shot.

I'm currently active duty and have been stationed away from my home of record in Oregon for the past 18 years and out of country for the last decade. I'm finally stationed back in the states (upstate NY..) and plan on returning home to hunt this fall for both deer and elk, but I have no idea where I should plan my hunt. Where's an area within a few hours drive of Portland that I stand a decent chance of spotting game (for rifle)? I'll be on leave visiting family, so I won't exactly have lots of time for scouting.

If all else fails, I'll just head west towards the coast and try my luck there. Luckily there's a clause which allows me to return home to Oregon while on leave and purchase a tag over the counter so that I may hunt with family/friends without having to 'win the lottery'. I still applied for the hunts though, at least I'll gain a couple preference points prior to retiring and moving back to Oregon in a couple years.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Thank you for your service! I'd probably just buy points and hunt deer and elk on a general tag on the west side or up towards MT. Hood.

But here are a couple other ideas for deer. If here in mid-Sept, you can get a W High Cascades deer tag, 100% draw usually, hunt the Santiam unit, if you do not harvest, it becomes a W OR general deer tag starting 10/1. There are deer in places in the high cascades, but I would not recommend it as a see a bunch of deer hi success hunt unless scouted/guided. White River (70% ish ) and Hood Units (100%) are options too, 10/1 openers. Upper Deschutes, by Sisters, about 2 1/2 hours one way, 91% draw and you will see deer. There are others, but those come to mind.

For elk, you have general coast, general cascade and a general Rocky Mt seasons around Mt. Hood, all with in range. You might check military tag options in WA, there has been some good elk hunts around MT. St. Helens historically. But buy an OR point.

Since you will be out here, may want to consider the new Premium Hunts, deer and elk are with in your range, not antelope. No points, but someone has to draw.

Good luck!

usaf_jtac

May 6, 2016
Thanks Tim. I did apply for the premium buck deer and elk hunts. Who knows, I could get lucky. I am simply planning on not drawing one, thus all the questions. The last time I hunted back home was in the Santiam unit (Brownsville I think). I've never seen any deer up towards Mt. Hood, so I never gave that any thought. Are there any specific areas/town near Mt. Hood, or in Santiam that you would recommend? I'm not opposed to hoofing it 10+miles through the night to get setup in a nice secluded spot and stalking. I would plan on the Sisters/Deschutes area, but I'd have to block off at least 2-3 days to make the travel worth while and my wife wouldn't be too happy about it :)

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Brownsville would be close to the south end of the Santiam unit, so that or the McKenzie would be my guess. I am not familiar enough with the MT. Hood or Santiam units near PDX to give you useful info. About all I could do is suggest a biologist or game warden call, there may be private timber company access, not sure, but worth a call. I am nearly always 4-9 hours one way, from PDX for my Oregon hunting. I do know one spot in the Santiam unit, about 2 hours one way, where one can usually find a buck or two 3-5 miles in. Be a very tough day hunt from PDX.

usaf_jtac

May 6, 2016
Yeah Brownsville is fairly far South. The last time I hunted is when I lived in Albany back in the mid 90's, so Brownsville was rather close. Funny that you mention giving a call to the game warden. That's actually the job I'm looking at getting into here in about two years after I retire. I've searched and searched Google, but everything I find pertains to guides on how to hunt, or references large units, nothing location specific.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
For deer in the santiam, hunt the burn in the wilderness. Get away from the trails and cross over at least 1000 dead fall and you will likely find deer, but not always. I've had some 12 mile days and not seen many deer, but I'm usually only looking for one.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Very cool. Is all game a draw in Oregon?
Nope, lots of general hunts. General deer and elk in the coast range and Cascades Mts. No generals for mule deer on the east side, some general seasons east for elk. Fall generals for bear and cougar.

The burn Timberstalker refers to may be the same spot I suggested was about 2 hours one way from PDX. There used to be a forest service web site one could use to see where burns were, might be worth a look, there could be burns closer to Portland than the one I am thinking of.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
For deer in the santiam, hunt the burn in the wilderness. Get away from the trails and cross over at least 1000 dead fall and you will likely find deer, but not always. I've had some 12 mile days and not seen many deer, but I'm usually only looking for one.
Stay out of my area.:)
I had him twice last year, and couldn't seal the deal.

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Yes Tim - California Bighorns in the Desert! Oops.
I would jump on that Metolious Tag soon if you are thinking about it. Seems to be starting to not be as good as it used to be. I have some theories as to why but dont want to post them here! I live on the border of that unit and Upper Deschutes. Wish they would open a late season Deer there - some of the bucks I am seeing behind where I live in November are mind boggling. I would love to rifle hunt Big bulls in Mt Emily, but I my heart is set on archery Elk . There are some toads coming out of there now. Trout Creek seems to be improving every year and your out of state hunts have got me jealous! Have fun!!!

Timberstalker - Hawaii goats are a great hunt and fairly easy. Let me know...
I'm looking at the late Metolius muzzy tag. You don't think that it is any good anymore? I could wait 2 years and get the trout creek rifle but have heard that isn't as good as it used to be either. Is it getting better?