2015 whitetail rut

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD
Spent the last weekend out trying to fill my sons last turkey tag. We noticed that areas where we were seeing 50-200 deer a day, all of a sudden vanished. We only saw a handful of smaller bucks. That got us thinking most does are dropping fawns. Doing some research we figured average of 200 day gestation period. That put us back around November 5. Just a nice way to confirm our rut in the Black Hills, normally our prairie deer are a couple weeks later and Muleys can go even until December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archermex

Mar 23, 2016
I hunt whitetails in Mexico and usually the peak of the rut is mid to late December down there. This year I saw the most movement the week before Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Based on several years of trail camera photos of very young fawns in mid Minnesota some are bred as early as October 20 and into early November. I think the "rut" we all wait for is actually post peak breeding chase activity. MN gun season is usually around November 5 and at times is amazing and others I think is stuck in lockdown on any given property depending on the does. More breeding goes on in October than I ever thought.