2015 mountain goat hunt

wyheadhunter

Aug 27, 2014
Wyoming
thought I would post a picture and short story of my nanny mountain goat hunt. I was able to harvest her on opening day in the afternoon. I was also able to stalk 2 other groups of goats but one group ended up bedding in cliffs that I didnt think I could get to with no feeling in my feet, and the other group I couldnt tell for sure of the targets being nannies so I decided not to shoot. The third group I watched for an hour or so and noticed the nanny in the group was a broken horned goat that my wife had gotten pictures of a couple of months earlier. When I finally decided to take a run at her they had pretty much quit feeding and looked like they were headed for bed. I headed my way across the half mile to a position above where I thought they would be. When I got to the rim they were 280 yards below me at a pretty steep angle in an avalache chute at the base of some small cliffs. I finally got in a prone position to shoot and waited for a brodadside shot. The shot came came and she was down in an instant. I dont think she ever knew what hit her as she layed there for about 15 seconds before she started rolling down the hill. she rolled probably 300 yards down the hill before coming to a stop. after taking a few quick pictures and cleaning the goat my wife and I ended up after dark getting her off the mountain and to camp where I was able to get her caped and skinned and bagged up. Camp was loaded the next morning and we headed for the check in where the parks and wildlife called her a 6 1/2 year old but couldnt tell for sure. They would get the age when taxidermist was finished with her. The taxidermist thought she was 9 1/2 with hardly any teeth left. So I was tickled that it was a good mature mountain goat to harvest. I want to thank everyone for all there help. I also found new best friends on this hunt as the walking sticks were a life saver.20150711_154758.jpgVZM.IMG_20150922_175525.jpg