2014 Outfitter and area for Elk Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
I'm going to try and use my points for next year and would like some recommendations. I will have 7 points going into next year and want to do a guided hunt for a good bull in Wyoming. I have been a subscriber for years and have the mrs that I read regularly. Just asking if you guys had that many points what area and outfitter would you be looking at?

I plan on rifle hunting but would also entertain a bow hunt if the quality of the hunt would be better. I live in Kentucky so I would to get the opportunity to hunt a great area and see lots of animals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Safe hunting to all

Shaun

Jan 7, 2012
Why waste the money on an outfitter unless you want to go into the wilderness. If you are doing rifle a good unit should be slam dunk with a little effort

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Why waste the money on an outfitter unless you want to go into the wilderness. If you are doing rifle a good unit should be slam dunk with a little effort

***This sounds like a comment from a person who has either never hunted elk before or has hunted them for so long that he's so good at it that he takes it for granted! I'd also recommend Bob Sundeen, as stated above, or Jake Clark. Both guys are well know as hard working, honest gents that hunt great areas and will get you on a good bull most of the time.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
***This sounds like a comment from a person who has either never hunted elk before or has hunted them for so long that he's so good at it that he takes it for granted! I'd also recommend Bob Sundeen, as stated above, or Jake Clark. Both guys are well know as hard working, honest gents that hunt great areas and will get you on a good bull most of the time.
Comments like this are what send threads like this into a downhill spiral. Grab a chair fellas this should ugly quick.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Comments like this are what send threads like this into a downhill spiral. Grab a chair fellas this should ugly quick.
Downhill spiral in what way? A person who has never hunted elk may not not see an elk in the best unit in the state if he doesn't know what he's doing. I've never heard of any elk hunt being considered a "slam dunk"! Knowing a unit through repeated scouting and hunts is one of the main reasons for success IMHO and that's why an outfitter is not a bad idea for a first timer, regardless of whether he hunts in an area that doesn't require one.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Downhill spiral in what way? A person who has never hunted elk may not not see an elk in the best unit in the state if he doesn't know what he's doing. I've never heard of any elk hunt being considered a "slam dunk"! Knowing a unit through repeated scouting and hunts is one of the main reasons for success IMHO and that's why an outfitter is not a bad idea for a first timer, regardless of whether he hunts in an area that doesn't require one.
Show me a slam dunk elk and I'll show you a high fence. This will get fun to just sit back and watch.

Shaun

Jan 7, 2012
Obviously this is coming from a guy who does not know how to find elk any other way besides using his wallet. If a guy puts forth the effort as I stated "scouting, research, and boot leather" it would be a slam dunk I am assuming you are a Michigan guy so I will look past your ignorance since I assume your idea of effort is sitting in a tree stand all day

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Obviously this is coming from a guy who does not know how to find elk any other way besides using his wallet. If a guy puts forth the effort as I stated "scouting, research, and boot leather" it would be a slam dunk I am assuming you are a Michigan guy so I will look past your ignorance since I assume your idea of effort is sitting in a tree stand all day
Scouting, research and boot leather is recipe for success!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
[[/ATTACH]QUOTE=Shaun;58496]Obviously this is coming from a guy who does not know how to find elk any other way besides using his wallet. If a guy puts forth the effort as I stated "scouting, research, and boot leather" it would be a slam dunk I am assuming you are a Michigan guy so I will look past your ignorance since I assume your idea of effort is sitting in a tree stand all day[/QUOTE]

***You have no idea what you're talking about because your assumptions are making an ass of yourself!!! FYI I don't do anything other than DIY hunts along with a buddy out in Wyoming and our success rate on branch antlered bulls scoring from 270" up through the one in this photo that was 357 3/8"2010 Trip 087.JPG has been 9 out of 10 on tags we or are friends that we've taken out have had. The only tag that wasn't filled was when a friend held out for a big bull we had seen and passed on a bunch of smaller ones. The whole reason for our success that is all on BLM land is because we know the land like the back of our hand. This 6x7 on my buddies back is our second biggest with huge 4ths, but we didn't even score it because of the small 3rds. Now eat your words BRO!!! Your continued "slam dunk" comment on any elk hunt where a person can't scout and is going in cold is laughable at best! Sorry my posting skills aren't as good as my elk hunting skills, LOL! ATTACH=CONFIG]6146

Attachments

Last edited:

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
I'd like to add to my post. The main reason I'm looking for an outfitter is because number one I live in kentucky and I don't know the state at all. This fall will be my first visit to wyoming doing an antelope hunt with my buddy in gmu 67, two I will be by myself as my hunting buddies never put in for preference points and I will have seven of them next year, and three I don't have all the gear to do a DIY hunt by myself. My buddies have all the tents, cooking supplies, etc and I refuse to borrow them. I want this to be a once in a lifetime experience so I figure if I go with a competent outfitter/guide my chance for that will greatly improve. This will be my one good chance for a quality bull for several years. To be honest the wife and I really enjoy the meat and I have no problems cow hunting if it will fill my freezer. But I would like a chance at a trophy quality animal. Plus I have the means to afford an outfitter. Most of my big game hunting is Ina tree stand here in kentucky and upland bird hunting all over the USA. I'm no rookie at hunting but I know very little about trophy elk hunting.

I didn't mean to start a fight or cause bad blood I'm just looking for help from the hunters on here that are willing to give me some help.

I thank everyone here for your responses. I learn a lot from forums like this.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Wait a minute,

Did I just stumble onto 24 HCF?

Whats with the attitude guys?

Oh well, back to the Rok.

Browntailguy,

You asked for outfitters and I hope you get some good references. Good luck on your hunt, I wish I could help you out.

Last edited:

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Call Bob Sundeen or Jake Clark, as was mentioned earlier, and get on with either one of them. They're both as good as it gets for quality areas and just plain good guys! You won't be sorry and your reasoning for going with an outfitter is well justified! Hope you get out there and shoot a Booner in 2014! Incidentally, don't shoot the first goat you see in unit 67 this Fall,as there are some good ones in that unit if you put in a few days off the roads and do some spot/stalk hunting.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I'd like to add to my post. The main reason I'm looking for an outfitter is because number one I live in kentucky and I don't know the state at all. This fall will be my first visit to wyoming doing an antelope hunt with my buddy in gmu 67, two I will be by myself as my hunting buddies never put in for preference points and I will have seven of them next year, and three I don't have all the gear to do a DIY hunt by myself. My buddies have all the tents, cooking supplies, etc and I refuse to borrow them. I want this to be a once in a lifetime experience so I figure if I go with a competent outfitter/guide my chance for that will greatly improve. This will be my one good chance for a quality bull for several years. To be honest the wife and I really enjoy the meat and I have no problems cow hunting if it will fill my freezer. But I would like a chance at a trophy quality animal. Plus I have the means to afford an outfitter. Most of my big game hunting is Ina tree stand here in kentucky and upland bird hunting all over the USA. I'm no rookie at hunting but I know very little about trophy elk hunting.

I didn't mean to start a fight or cause bad blood I'm just looking for help from the hunters on here that are willing to give me some help.

I thank everyone here for your responses. I learn a lot from forums like this.
I say go for it. If you don't have the time and can't do any scouting and want to have a good or even better chance at getting an elk(especially not knowing the area), get an outfitter. Above all ask for references and do your homework on picking the right one. There are several websites that rate them (one is nexthunt.com). I've used outfitters , hunted on my own and with friends. I intend on using an outfitter for another wilderness hunt this year. Like I said ....go for it.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Guys this could have been a good thread with some good outfitter advise for us to use but the talk is going the wrong way. No reason to talk bad about each others opinions. Good luck on your hunt and thanks for the heads up guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.