2012 Muley Hunt

gradycoshooter

Apr 26, 2011
Amber, Oklahoma
I am trying to get some insight on what region or regions in Wyoming to put in for next year. I know I have missed the deadline for the 2011 season. This would be my first out of state muley hunt and am looking for some insight on what to put in for. I know for some areas you pretty much have to have preference points built up. I am planning to buy a few this year. Being the first time this will likely be a rifle hunt. I ya'll have any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

llp

Mar 15, 2011
Focus on the regions in the central part of the state. Easier to draw and the hunts are in typically more accessible country. For a first time mule deer hunter, don't get hung up on the big trophy areas. You will be disappointed if you go that route.
llp

gradycoshooter

Apr 26, 2011
Amber, Oklahoma
Thanks for the advice llp I have some contacts in the areas of glenrock and encampment I will look into those areas have u ever hunted in close proximity to either of those towns and if so what did u think of them

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
The area between Casper & Glenrock is where the Mule deer population is in trouble...according to G&F anyway. Ask your contact about local deer herds.

wileywapiti

Feb 21, 2011
gods country
not sure about the heards around big piney and the wyoming range, but the heards in the Windriver range are decimated. in my opinion, bad management and a really hard 2010-11 winter put an end the the muley deer hunting in the Winds for now. the hard numbers have not come out yet for winter kill, but its not hard to see the carcasses strung along 191 north between farson and pinedale. Now with that said....i think the mulies south of Rock Springs are still doing good. Area 102 is the most popular area, for a reason, but it is fairly hard to draw (typically less than 5% chance for in-staters). the average buck you will see in that area will be a nice 4x4 with a 22-26 inch spread with good mass but no deep forks, we call them crab claws around here. hunting with a bow would be extremely hard...it is mostly sagebrush draws and juniper bushes so rifle hunting is the prefered weapon. there are a few places with pines and aspens, but its less than 5% of the area. the area does hold 170-190 bucks, they get a few every year....
area 140 and 161 holds good deer too, but just not sure about the winter kill this year. easier to draw than area 102, but holds the same kinda deer, but with deeper forks. you wont see as many deer as in 102, but the bucks are just as big...if not bigger comparing the big boys. had a few buddies draw that area the last few years and they brought home 180 class deer that last two years.