2 man Hot Tent Options - 2019

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm probably thinking too much; but would a shorter tent ceiling promote greater heat retention with the stove/in general-maybe not enough to offset not being able to stand-anyone got thoughts on that?
Personally I think it’s sixes. As long as you buy the right size stove it will work great.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I decided to kick my 14 yr son off the family computer for few hrs last night so I could spend some time researching these hot tents further.

I had forgot what its like watching you tube videos and reading reviews on a screen larger than a post card!

Really impressed with the 3-D view of the tents on the SO storefront and the podcast overviews they provide. I had seen their 3-D views prior, but they seem to have upgraded them to make them more uniform from tent to tent; just seemed easier to compare models. Only wish they would add a view of Cimmarron set up with a stove in that 3-D tool.

I think I will either be going as cheap and light as I can, with a heated Silvertip for a single point solution for me; or the LBO+Vestibule with heat for me; then upgrading that with add ons to support a 2-3 man solution. Also, while more costly long term, if I went with the Silvertip route to start small, I could get a Redcliff or larger tent later if my kids ever decide they want to hunt (2-3 hopefuls lol).

The LBO, with is path to ugrades, just seems to make so much sense. I was sold on the Cimmarron, and still like it; just am thinking something upgradeable, or a small tent for just me, and then a larger one in the future, may be better in the long run. I know my post is about 2 man hot tent options, so getting a Silvertip or LBO+Vestibule kinda nukes that aspect. 😆

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I decided to kick my 14 yr son off the family computer for few hrs last night so I could spend some time researching these hot tents further.

I had forgot what its like watching you tube videos and reading reviews on a screen larger than a post card!

Really impressed with the 3-D view of the tents on the SO storefront and the podcast overviews they provide. I had seen their 3-D views prior, but they seem to have upgraded them to make them more uniform from tent to tent; just seemed easier to compare models. Only wish they would add a view of Cimmarron set up with a stove in that 3-D tool.

I think I will either be going as cheap and light as I can, with a heated Silvertip for a single point solution for me; or the LBO+Vestibule with heat for me; then upgrading that with add ons to support a 2-3 man solution. Also, while more costly long term, if I went with the Silvertip route to start small, I could get a Redcliff or larger tent later if my kids ever decide they want to hunt (2-3 hopefuls lol).

The LBO, with is path to ugrades, just seems to make so much sense. I was sold on the Cimmarron, and still like it; just am thinking something upgradeable, or a small tent for just me, and then a larger one in the future, may be better in the long run. I know my post is about 2 man hot tent options, so getting a Silvertip or LBO+Vestibule kinda nukes that aspect. 😆
Here is my progression, I tested the LBO with all the bells and whistles. Then I settled on a double base set up, which worked as my solo/double option for a couple of seasons before I came to work here. I added a six man/stove option for the larger parties and when I wanted to heat up the tent. Now my go to option is the Cimmarron/Red Cliff as my go to option with stove jacks in both.

Reactions: Prerylyon

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Slightly off-topic (but I didn't see starting a parallel "6-man" thread) but I just picked up the Tahoe Gear Bighorn XL Teepee. I set it up long enough to review it and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. We're going to install a stove jack in it and hot-tent with it with 4 friends on a joint elk hunt this fall.

Most of the tent options seem to be either "plush but heavy" or "ultralight ... and your wallet will be, too!" This one is easily big enough for 4-6 people plus a stove, but the pack weight is only 27lbs. That's square in the "second trip to the truck on the first day" category, which was our middle-ground goal. I've since discovered that 5lbs of that is the center pole, so if you're going somewhere you know you can cut a pole, you can save that weight. And it only cost $145.

Anyway, I don't want to gush too much, it's not perfect, but if anybody needs an option in that middle category, have a quick look.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon

I have a Seekoutside BT-2 and a Redcliff. The BT2 is the predecessor to the Silvertip. If I had it to do over I would purchase the LBO over the BT2. The LBO is nice because you can use it as just a tarp or heated.

When you hunt in November you spend a lot of time in the tent having a larger tent that has head room and a spot to store your fire wood is great. Having the liner is also nice to help with the condensation. I'm super happy with my Redcliff.

Attachments

Gerald

Dec 8, 2017
Colorado
Anybody heard of the brand "Luxe" that supposedly makes hot tents too? thats what my buddy has and is planning on using this winter on our hunts together.. ill ask him what the model name was just wondering if anybody had heard anything about it or used their tents in the past..

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I know Luxe. I was an inch away from getting their Hercules 8P before settling on the 12P teepee I bought for this year. I haven't used their products, but at least based on my research they get great reviews and seem to be the second best "price per weight per sleeping-count" out there. If you get one please post your experiences. I keep wondering what "could have been" :)

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I have a Seekoutside BT-2 and a Redcliff. The BT2 is the predecessor to the Silvertip. If I had it to do over I would purchase the LBO over the BT2. The LBO is nice because you can use it as just a tarp or heated.

When you hunt in November you spend a lot of time in the tent having a larger tent that has head room and a spot to store your fire wood is great. Having the liner is also nice to help with the condensation. I'm super happy with my Redcliff.
I do like the Redcliff if you can divide up the weight; If solo, I'd opt for the Cimarron.