12 elk points. which unit?

jaeger63

Jun 14, 2015
Colorado Springs, Co
I'm Tony Cleveland from Colorado. Ive not been on the site for awhile but I'm finally planning to try and draw a Wyoming elk tag this year so thought Id poke around on here a little bit. I'll be putting in with 12 points for this years draw. Ive got it narrowed doen to 3 units now and I would like to ask opinions of those who may have hunted these units. I'm not asking for specific areas or spots but only if you had a good hunt and do you feel it was worth your points. Im considering area 38 - 9, 45 -1, and 54 -9. I don;t have enough points to draw 54-1 but I do a type 9. I hear the grizz are out of control now in 54 andf I'm not sure I want to deal with that even though I hear the unit has great trophy potential. Thanks much in advance for anyone willing to share their thoughts on these units. If you would rather chat privately I can be reached at 719 930-1098 or at: [email protected]
When I do choose my unit I would be willing to share specific specific coordinates info on a couple of Colorado draw units if anyone would be willing to reciprocate. Thanks much

Last edited:

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I'd probably recommend 38. Area 45 is good, but it has some wilderness and you can't hunt it unless you have a licensed guide or a resident friend as a guide. Also those areas are grizzly free. Are you mainly wanting to archery hunt?

jaeger63

Jun 14, 2015
Colorado Springs, Co
Thanks for your response Maxhunter. I do appreciate your input. I was hoping for a few more responses but I understand. Ive heard from a couple different Wyoming residents that it has gotten much harder fro them to draw tags now because the state can make more money off non resident tags. I think it's becoming that way in most states including Colorado. The last draw unit I hunted here I was bumping into a lot of NR's who drew with the same amount of points that it took me to draw. That is just wrong in my opinion. All states should make it easier for their residents to draw premium tags than NR's. Anyways I think I have enough info to make my decision on which unit I pplan to hunt. Thanks and I hope you have a great 2020 season.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
38 would be a really fun archery tag to have. I drove through the unit in the middle of the night, on my way home from my elk hunt a few years ago. Was shocked at the number of elk I saw. Lots of BIG bulls, herding their cows up and down the highway, and right of the roads. I'd love to have that tag.

Thomas11

Apr 22, 2013
South alabama
Also I know in the past u could bowhunt the 45-1 tag but that has been changed I’m pretty sure for this yr u can’t so I’m not sure if u knew that or u simply just wanted the rifle tag but I thought I’d pass it along

Thomas11

Apr 22, 2013
South alabama
Thanks Thomas. I did not know that about 45 this year
There was a big stink last yr w WY game and fish changing the seasons after the NR draw. Basically they were gonna do away w the bowhunting on type 1 45 tag but they decided that after the NR draw and enough ppl fussed they tabled it until 2020 but I think it’s in effect now.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
There was a big stink last yr w WY game and fish changing the seasons after the NR draw. Basically they were gonna do away w the bowhunting on type 1 45 tag but they decided that after the NR draw and enough ppl fussed they tabled it until 2020 but I think it’s in effect now.
The 2020 hunt planner still shows an archery season for 45-1, from Sept 15th to 30th. it's pretty rotten of them to put it on the hunt planner and then change it later. I really can't stand any sort of bait and switch!

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
The 2020 hunt planner still shows an archery season for 45-1, from Sept 15th to 30th. it's pretty rotten of them to put it on the hunt planner and then change it later. I really can't stand any sort of bait and switch!
But that's understandable because all the seasons you see in the Hunt Planner are 2019 seasons. This is one reason why the elk draw was pushed back to May. You can now modify or withdraw your application up to May 8th so if you don't like the hunt you applied for after seeing the 2020 seasons, you won't be stuck drawing a tag that you don't want.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
But that's understandable because all the seasons you see in the Hunt Planner are 2019 seasons. This is one reason why the elk draw was pushed back to May. You can now modify or withdraw your application up to May 8th so if you don't like the hunt you applied for after seeing the 2020 seasons, you won't be stuck drawing a tag that you don't want.
Your right, my brain has not adjusted to the new system I forgot that you can withdraw your application.

Thomas11

Apr 22, 2013
South alabama
I’m not 100% sure they did away w the archery stamp for 45 but I’m almost certain. U may want to call and confirm before applying if your plan was to bowhunt the type 1 tag. This whole thing about having to apply in Jan before tag numbers, season dates, tag changes as above etc and then waiting till mid May to find out anything has to be the single most assbackwards change I’ve seen any state do. They shoulda moved our deadline to apply to May as well for these reasons above but we all know they had to appease to the outfitters.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It's my understanding that the state can not put the money into a interest bearing account but must be held in a trust account.

If it is earning interest then they have to send the interest to you along with a 1099-int form.

Thomas11

Apr 22, 2013
South alabama
It's my understanding that the state can not put the money into a interest bearing account but must be held in a trust account.

If it is earning interest then they have to send the interest to you along with a 1099-int form.
U r right. It’s not a money driven agenda at least not in the form of interest. It’s the game and fish appeasing the outfitters. And hearing their voice is ok but this is beyond anything remotely an acceptable compromise. It’s stupid and serves no point except to appease the outiffters.

Reactions: Bonecollector

11C50

Oct 13, 2011
Edgar WI
I'm Tony Cleveland from Colorado. Ive not been on the site for awhile but I'm finally planning to try and draw a Wyoming elk tag this year so thought Id poke around on here a little bit. I'll be putting in with 12 points for this years draw. Ive got it narrowed doen to 3 units now and I would like to ask opinions of those who may have hunted these units. I'm not asking for specific areas or spots but only if you had a good hunt and do you feel it was worth your points. Im considering area 38 - 9, 45 -1, and 54 -9. I don;t have enough points to draw 54-1 but I do a type 9. I hear the grizz are out of control now in 54 andf I'm not sure I want to deal with that even though I hear the unit has great trophy potential. Thanks much in advance for anyone willing to share their thoughts on these units. If you would rather chat privately I can be reached at 719 930-1098 or at: [email protected]
When I do choose my unit I would be willing to share specific specific coordinates info on a couple of Colorado draw units if anyone would be willing to reciprocate. Thanks much
I hunted 45 for elk several years ago and would recommend it to anyone. Lots of nice bulls in there. In certain areas you can run into private property issues, but its not that bad and easy to navigate around. Yes there is some wilderness area there, but still more than enough country to stretch your legs in.

Reactions: Conrad8899

jaeger63

Jun 14, 2015
Colorado Springs, Co
elkmo41,
Yes it does. Im guessing that could possibly change when the final season updates are made available on 1 May. NR's will have until 8 May to change their app or withdraw it