10 resident colorado deer pp’s where would you go?

Robncolorado

Nov 17, 2019
Hi all!
New to Eastmans, glad to be here and look forward to contributing.

I’ve been fortunate in my years to have taken numerous mule deer, my best being a 170 ish animal.

For the past bunch of years I’ve been focused on other hunting pursuits ( introducing a young nephew n daughters to hunting) and have been saving up points to do a special deer hunt.

I’m not particular on type of hunt (high country, plains, etc.) but would like to hunt an area (unit)with a decent opportunity for a 160 class plus deer.

Open to outfitted hunts as well as on my own.

Really appreciate any advice.

Best,
Rob

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
First thing I would do is check the Eastman MRS as well as sign up at gohunt.com and narrow down my hunt based on the criteria that I’m interested in. Once you’ve narrowed the results come back with more doe officials questions as well be better prepared to assist.
And always stop back and share your experience and pic.
Good luck!

Robncolorado

Nov 17, 2019
Thanks BoneCollector!
Just becoming familiar with Eastmans set up.......what’s MRS? Sorry to be naive,

Thanks !!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You can do a lot of it on your own. Go into the CP&W web site and go to the statistics page then start going through them and see what you can draw with 10 points, and if it was me I would drop the points down to 8 if I really wanted to draw the tag in 2020.

Then once you have the units that you can draw start looking at them and see if any of them interest you. I believe that 8-10 points may get you into until 21 for third season, there is no 4th season there. It is a migration hunt and you might find what you are looking for and then again you might not. Even a 160+ deer is expecting a lot in a lot of the units here in Colorado. They are there but you are going to have to work for them.

Reactions: mcseal2

Robncolorado

Nov 17, 2019
Thanks Jim! Yes, I’ve studied the stats for years and have a good idea which units I stand a good chance of drawing. I guess my question to the forum was which unit given my points would you recommend perhaps based on previous experience. Just more curious to what others had to say. Thanks again!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It might help is you posted the units that you are interested in.

There isn't a unit that holds mule deer in Colorado that you can't find a 160+ buck in. Some are just a lot easier. Even the fabled unit 44 has them but you are going to have to work to find them.

Roundball

May 15, 2015
Ohio unfortunatly
Hi all!
New to Eastmans, glad to be here and look forward to contributing.

I’ve been fortunate in my years to have taken numerous mule deer, my best being a 170 ish animal.

For the past bunch of years I’ve been focused on other hunting pursuits ( introducing a young nephew n daughters to hunting) and have been saving up points to do a special deer hunt.

I’m not particular on type of hunt (high country, plains, etc.) but would like to hunt an area (unit)with a decent opportunity for a 160 class plus deer.

Open to outfitted hunts as well as on my own.

Really appreciate any advice.

Best,
Rob

Roundball

May 15, 2015
Ohio unfortunatly
Welcome Rob! I live in Ohio so scouting is hard for me. I went to 15 this year only deer I saw were on private land. access seemed hard to me. I didn't see any dead animals but I should have hunted higher-9500-10,000'. a guy showed me pictures of 2 nice bucks killed w/ $2500. vouchers.