021 nevada deer

carldevonbrooks

Dec 2, 2015
My wife drew the dec. 21 - jan1 mule deer tag in nevada. Can Any one list some expections of the animals on that hunt? How many animals can be seen, what is a typical good buck, and what is an exceptional buck that should not be passed up? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
It all depends onnthe weather and migration from California.
Here are a couple of bucks during that hunt 2 years ago. Opening day just starting the hunt. 20171221_114358.jpg20171221_114358.jpgy

muleyfool

Jun 7, 2018
My wife drew the dec. 21 - jan1 mule deer tag in nevada. Can Any one list some expections of the animals on that hunt? How many animals can be seen, what is a typical good buck, and what is an exceptional buck that should not be passed up? Thanks in advance.

Congrats on a great tag!
Better try back in a few weeks.
The Drawing disappointment wounds are still too fresh...

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Like said above. Very weather dependent but still top units in Nv. You will see lots of young deer and does. So you have a lot of chances to find a good buck with the does. Go early and catch the end of the rut, or late if there is no snow like last year. There is always big bucks in the unit but it really needs the snow to make it exceptional.
Bring a sxs or quad there are lots of roads to get you around in the hills and plenty of good roads lower for a 4x4 vehicle if you don’t have atv’s.
Imo I wouldn’t pass up a 170” buck but there is a real chance of a 180+ with some work and weather.

Last edited:

carldevonbrooks

Dec 2, 2015
Like said above. Very weather dependent but still top units in Nv. You will see lots of young deer and does. So you have a lot of chances to find a good buck with the does. Go early and catch the end of the rut, or late if there is no snow like last year. There is always big bucks in the unit but it really needs the snow to make it exceptional.
Bring a sxs or quad there are lots of roads to get you around in the hills and plenty of good roads lower for a 4x4 vehicle if you don?t have atv?s.
Imo I wouldn?t pass up a 170? buck but there is a real chance of a 180+ with some work and weather.
Hey cold, i know that area of California & Nevada can produce big bucks that dont score well with B&C. Is this the case for this area? Ie wide rack but short tines, or narrow racks with mass. Any pointers about how those bucks grow in that area?

carldevonbrooks

Dec 2, 2015
Bring a sxs or quad there are lots of roads to get you around in the hills and plenty of good roads lower for a 4x4 vehicle if you don?t have atv?s.
Imo I wouldn?t pass up a 170? buck but there is a real chance of a 180+ with some work and weather.
Great tip about the sxs. I got 1. We can hunt every day if we choose to. My Wife will want Christmas with the grandbaby, but how oftern could some1 shoot a buck on Christmas day!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Lots of guys I know drew 021 this year. We will be out with at least 1 client so I may see some of you out there too.

The deer will score just like any others. Genetics are good. I haven’t noticed anything different in horns in 021 from any other unit. 194-196 with get cross bucks, mule deer x black tails but I’ve never seen that in 021.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Good luck! I’ve seen a few bucks that a buddy has seen while scouting for his tag. I haven’t been out there this year to have seen anything myself.

Reactions: Calbuck