Upgrading the Reloading Bench

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Since we have the two new custom rifles coming I wanted to go to the next level with my reloading. New to the process will be

1) Giraud case trimmer to trim to length, chamfer and debur in one shot. Time saver to increase consistency and quantity.
2) AMP annealer to get more consistent neck tension on all loads.
3) RCBS Brass boss to have an automated neck and primer pocket cleaner.

I did a bunch of comparisons and talked with some hard core OCD reloaders to narrow my choices. Does anyone have any of the above ?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have looked at the new stuff but I still do it the old fashion way.

But I did go high tech when I purchased a RCBS ChargeMaster scale and dispenser.

I might have to look at the other accessories to use my birthday discount on this year.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have the RCBS trim mate (Lesser unit than the brass boss). I use it constantly. I couldn't imagine having to do all of that by hand at this point. I uniform all of my primer pockets, de-bur, chamfer, and clean the necks and everything. Takes about 30 seconds per case and does a great job.

I trim on the trim pro 2 first before I head to the trim mate.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Here is a case annealer that I was thinking of building, I still might. There are a few others that you just dump the cases into a hopper and they go through the process all by themselves. Granted you have to build them but you come out with something that works for a lot less money than a factory one.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I havn't annealed in many years. I used to make a lot of brass when I was shooting several wildcat cartridges. I made 25-06 out of .270 & 30-06 brass and 22-250 out of 243 and 250 Savage. Now my "wildcats" are factory stuff, I don't reconfigure brass. Used to get a lot of neck splits because of working the brass so much. I never get any now, so I don't anneal anymore.

I do load a .220 Ackley Improved Swift. I fireform the cases as all that is different from factory is a straighter case with a sharper shoulder. I don't have any problem with cases here either.