Mountain House individually packed meals...

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
Just want to see if anybody else here would be interested...

I asked Mountain House if they can do individual-sized servings of various entrees in vacuum-packed packages on-demand.

If they are willing and able to do so for this year, would anybody else here be interested?

If they can and we get several people who are interested, I'll also ask if they can do a deal on the price.

If there is interest, I'll let everybody know what they say and go from there.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Im a bit confused. You want different size mt house meals? Like different from the 1 or 2 serving size?

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Most of their meals are marked as two servings per pack. I am guessing that JMSZ is inquiring for them to do single serving size packs. I would be interested.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Most of their meals are marked as two servings per pack. I am guessing that JMSZ is inquiring for them to do single serving size packs. I would be interested.
I see. I don't think the 2 serving size is to much for a meal. The pro packs were a little smaller. Not sure if they sell those anymore? Haven't looked for any in awhile.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Ive always thought they sell 1 serving and 2 serving packets of all types of meals. I always buy the 2 serving packets and use that as 1 meal.

wyohunter1

May 5, 2012
Just want to see if anybody else here would be interested...

I asked Mountain House if they can do individual-sized servings of various entrees in vacuum-packed packages on-demand.

If they are willing and able to do so for this year, would anybody else here be interested?

If they can and we get several people who are interested, I'll also ask if they can do a deal on the price.

If there is interest, I'll let everybody know what they say and go from there.
My girlfriend doesn't eat them because she can't finish them and there was a time or two when I couldn't finish them either. She was going to email them and ask if they could make smaller portion sized meals too.

sab

Apr 13, 2011
The Pro Paks are smaller (single serving), they're vacuum-packed (no ballooning at altitude), and they are available in many of the same flavors. Yes, they are still available. I use them almost exclusively!

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
To clarify, yes, I am asking them if they can do individual servings, most that I have seen, on their website and other places, are 2 or more servings per package. I just want one serving per package.

I am going to use a smaller size freeze-dried meal so I have something hot to eat and supplement it with something hydrated to reduce the amount of water I need to use for a meal.

I can eat 2 servings with no problem, I just want to cut down the amount of water I have to use for each hot meal. I could buy them, open them and then vacuum seal them myself, but if Mountain House will do it for me, that would be a lot less work and prep for me.

I have only seen pro-packs for a limited number of entrees and even those are listed as two servings. I want creamed beef (SOS for those of you who remember it), among other things. It seems like their more popular ones come in pro-packs, the rest only come in larger sizes (creamed beef, for example, is only sold in 54 serving cans).

The regular packs inflate like balloons at higher elevations, so I am limited to pro-packs or vacuum sealing my own.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
You have my vote on smaller portions. I was forcing myself to eat too much just so as not to be toting fresh smelling food on me in last seasons hunt. I would buy smaller servings if they sold them.
Vacuum sealing them at the factory would lead to most packages being punctured by the food before use. They get bumped around way too much to hold up from factory to field. That air pocket is somewhat of a protection against that.

However, I can see them marketing smaller packaged meals that have less air....call them High Altitude pro packs or something. Charge more for them and say they have more for you with a NEW smaller package. People would buy them like Sitka gear. Haha.
(Making fun of those willing to pay $500 for a jacket that cost $13 to make).

Market the idea to them, but I would expect to see a higher price for them if they do. Hopefully not though, as I see this as a benefit for those of us who arent into the extra large size meals.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I can't eat a whole MH meal either. But just because of the taste. When I was using comercial BP meals , I always repackaged in ziplocks to save space, weight and trash. Search some backpacking forums and you will be amazed at the variety of food available that is actually tastes good and is lighter and less bulky. Try www.trailcooking.com

Last edited:

MtnBoy

Dec 27, 2012
ID
Just split them in half into freezer Ziploc bags, you can either cook them in there or save 1 mountain house bag to cook them all in. Less space, less weight and less $$ than having them do it for you I'm sure.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Just split them in half into freezer Ziploc bags, you can either cook them in there or save 1 mountain house bag to cook them all in. Less space, less weight and less $$ than having them do it for you I'm sure.
I do the same. works well.

jarheadhunter

Jun 11, 2013
People would buy them like Sitka gear. Haha.
(Making fun of those willing to pay $500 for a jacket that cost $13 to make).

Market the idea to them, but I would expect to see a higher price for them if they do. Hopefully not though, as I see this as a benefit for those of us who arent into the extra large size meals.
Don't bash it until you try it. It's true there is a pretty big mark up, but I am going to say about 50% not 97%.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I just checked with them again over the phone and the lady said they can't do it, they can't can't even vacuum pack regular sized meals that they already have.

I know I can break them apart and seal them here, but it takes more time, mess, breaks the seal, so I have to use them pretty much right away, etc, etc.

Oh well, vacuum sealer it is.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I can't eat a whole MH meal either. But just because of the taste. When I was using comercial BP meals , I always repackaged in siplocks to save space, weight and trash. Search dome backpacking forums and you will be amazed at the variety of food available that is actually tastes good and is lighter and less bulky. Try www.trailcooking.com
I was at REI a couple of weeks ago and finally figured out what TVP was - textured vegetable protein, i.e., fake hamburger.

Dan4Elk2

Feb 26, 2014
I just checked with them again over the phone and the lady said they can't do it, they can't can't even vacuum pack regular sized meals that they already have.

I know I can break them apart and seal them here, but it takes more time, mess, breaks the seal, so I have to use them pretty much right away, etc, etc.

Oh well, vacuum sealer it is.
I to have issues with way too much food in a 2 serving meal. I usually stock up on meals when I find them on clearance or on sale. Then you usually dont have much of a choice on flavors and sizes when there on clearance. Here is a thought ..your saying all the trouble vacuum sealing etc... You could always keep the 2-serving in its original package. When your ready to eat this is when you split the meal into half portions. Have your other zip lock bag... pre pare your meal in the zip lock bag. Then you can seal up the original package. Cut down on your use of water for meal and less bulk in your pack! I will be doing this! i didn't think of this until I read every ones ideas and thoughts. Thank you!
Dan

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Don't bash it until you try it. It's true there is a pretty big mark up, but I am going to say about 50% not 97%.
My Brother in law is a VP of marketing for a major soft good distribution center. I have seen the price a company pays for items. Makes me sick. Those $10 kmart tshirts.....cost a company about .80 each. Those $60 name brand shirts run a company $1.20 - $1.60 a piece.

Say an cheap hoodie that shrinks looking at it under a light bulb? $1.50
the really nice ones.. Say a North Face? $6.00

Soft goods markup is insane!!!! Especially if your in it bulk.

I have seriously looked into making a line of clothes that are purposefully PIC. (Politically Incorrect ). I Just never have yet pull the trigger on an initial order to get started.

ArmyArcher

Mar 9, 2014
For now, Tucson, AZ
I used MH meals for first time last season and choose meals that I can eat cold (pastas) or warmed up for breakfast. Usually, I am able to eat the whole meal. When I can't it's usually one that I put on tortillas like the breakfast skillet...

I have a foodsaver vacuum kit and given what folks recommended here, believe I'll try breaking them up and sealing them myself.

What they need to do is make a larger variety of bulk meal boxes. You can get 10 or 12 meals in a box at Costco but I only like half of them.