Rattlesnake issue

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Not exactly a hunting question but figured some of you may have encountered this problem before. I have a mobile home on some hunting property. I've always had problems with mice getting into the trailer and have always set out poison for them; always a constant battle. My sister and brother in law went up to mow grass over the weekend and were watching TV when a rattlesnake came out from behind the TV. After recovering from the near heart attack they tried to kill it but it got away. Any suggestions on how to get snakes out of homes? I'm fearful if there is one there may be dozens. Is there a way to fumigate the trailer to kill everything in it?

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I'd say get ahold of animal control and see if they know of somebody who deals with them. I personally haven't had to deal with them (yet), but I've discussed it with neighbors who have and I've never heard of fumigating snakes, it's always been physical removal/killing.

Besides, even if you could fumigate, then you could end up with several (dozen?) dead snakes that will turn into rotting snakes.

Personally, I'd have no issue dealing with one snake in the open, but no way I'd screw with searching a house for them and then trying to clear them out.

IMO, that's just asking to get nailed and if you stumbled into a nest in the wrong place...

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
You might need to get a trained snake wrangler/ exterminator out there and check. Or I would go through everything very slowly and carefully. One question, was it a big rattler or small one?

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
I have 2 small children that love to be outside. Every spring we have a couple encounters with snakes and I put moth balls around my yard. 3 years in a row we haven't seen another snake after I put then out. I heard they hate the smell

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
My sister says it was 3 to 4 ft. Old enough to have rattles. She said it coiled up and shook when it got aggravated.

I've been told that burning sulfar will create a gas that will kill all living things if its in large enough quantities. Not sure I want to do that inside a livings quarter though.

Also, we put all kinds of moth balls under the trailer; I guess if the snake is hungry enough he doesn't care.

Last edited:

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
My sister says it was 3 to 4 ft. Old enough to have rattles. She said it coiled up and shook when it got aggravated.

I've been told that burning sulfar will create a gas that will kill all living things if its in large enough quantities. Not sure I want to do that inside a livings quarter though.

Also, we put all kinds of moth balls under the trailer; I guess if the snake is hungry enough he doesn't care.
You'd be very popular with the fire department, among others:

http://www.georgiagulfsulfur.com/fires.htm

Last edited:

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv

So a older snake. He might be the only one so you might not have a nest. Best thing would get a professional out there and check it out.

You need bull snakes. They keep the rattlers away most of the time and get the mice.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
I had a rattler in my barn earlier this year, I tried to get him out when it was cool but he wouldn't reveal himself to me then. Later in the day after it got hot I went in (after my dog) and my dog had him mad and rattling in a hurry. 20 gauge seemed to be very effective on him. Since then she has revealed to me one more snake in the yard...she is a lab that constantly runs the yard looking for rabbits, so when she was sniffing around the wood pile a mama rattler took offense to her hunting routine and then came in contact with my rake. Similar thing happened last summer in the garden, dog was snooping around her hunting spots and got close enough to make one mad/rattle. So...my dog seems to make them mad/rattle and then I know they're around . All 3 times I don't think I would have known the snakes were around if it wasn't for her. She also knows to get back when she hears the rattle though, where some dogs may not known the danger. She also is up to date on her rattler vaccines. I'd rather send a dog in first to find the snake then follow behind for a clean up kill.

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
Get some cats & feed them enough to keep them around. But don't feed them so much that they quit hunting. They will keep mice, rats, birds & everything knocked down. Same prey the snakes are after, also snakes don't like cats & will stay away.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I would try to figure out where the snake got into your mobile home and seal it up so they cant get in. Check around drain pipes, water pipes, electric inlet, dryer vent, ect as those are the most likely places they would get in.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
If they didn't kill him I bet he is still in your house also.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
The University of Google suggests that I can get a peice of plywood and coat it with Trapper glue adhesive, the same glue used to make mouse glue traps. It says that if a snake tries to crosss the plywood it gets stuck just like a mouse. I'm planning an all out assault, probably use a combination of glue boards, moth balls, .22 bird shot, and some kind of fumagation.