Desert Sheep Unit 173 Info

GrantMan

Mar 3, 2011
Nevada
I was lucky enough to draw a Nelson Sheep tag for 173 and was wondering if anyone would like to share some personal knowledge of the area?

I know they are scattered along the south east side of the Toiyabes and extend as far north to Bunker Hill. I know this can be a sensitive question but if you don't mind sharing I am all ears.

Thank you

Grant

goindeep

May 9, 2011
I archery deer hunted that unit in 2007. I saw a good group of rams on the mountain to the west of toiyabe dome. I was glad to see they made a tag available to nonresidents this year. I applied but didn't draw. That's the area I would be going to. I'm sure they're all over those tops, their trails were everywhere. The only problem was that is was a BITCH to get up there! Do you have horses?

GrantMan

Mar 3, 2011
Nevada
That is why they are up there. It is some tough country for sure.

No horses, I was planning on day hiking or overnight back pack hunt to get into that country. Hunt is middle of November to middle of December and I know it gets damn cold there. Thanks for the info goindeep.

NVbowhnter

Apr 10, 2013
Ive done some hiking around over there and ive seen some decent rams over there. They were all up really high though and they take some work to get to but one of them was in the low 170's and there were a couple high 150's and low 160's

GrantMan

Mar 3, 2011
Nevada
I saw the thread title and thought; hey I know some information about that unit forgetting that I was the OP asking about information.

I did get a nine year old ram near the top of the Toiyabe dome that scored 152". It was defiantly a physically tough hunt. I have been working a lot out of town but when I free up some time I will post some pictures and a short story.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I saw the thread title and thought; hey I know some information about that unit forgetting that I was the OP asking about information.

I did get a nine year old ram near the top of the Toiyabe dome that scored 152". It was defiantly a physically tough hunt. I have been working a lot out of town but when I free up some time I will post some pictures and a short story.
That would be great grant man. Congratulations on the ram of a lifetime!