Backcountry Food

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I have done some research, but was wonder what my fellow backcountry bow hunters were taking with them. I use Mountain House for my dinners, but was wonder what everyone was eating for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I usually take instant oatmeal for breakfast, Cliff bars for lunch and trail mix and cookies for snacks. Does anyone have a favorite high calorie breakfast, lunch or snack?

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I use exactly what you're using........except I also use ProBars. All natural with quite a few calories, good nutritional value, and tasty!

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
Is the oatmeal you are eating in a similar pouch to Mountain House so you just dump the water in?
I use instant oatmeal and place it in a freezer bag. When I'm ready to eat it I pour hot water in the freezer bag and wait a couple minutes and then eat away.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I use exactly what you're using........except I also use ProBars. All natural with quite a few calories, good nutritional value, and tasty!
I have not tried the Probars yet. I did notice that Cliff has a couple products called Builders and Shot Roks. They both have 20 grams of protein and 270 calories. The Builders is a bar and the Shot Roks are small chews. I might try them out.

shed

Mar 10, 2011
I "hate" both of those bars. I tried fooling my self into liking them, but yuk! I have taken alot of things but one item I always enjoy is peanut butter and honey on whole wheat bread. That seems to give me alot of energy. I do not worry about the protein factor when hunting as I usually have 4-6 protein shakes each day when at home. There are alot of granola type bars that are good tasting and will fill any void you might have.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
shed- peanut butter and honey on whole wheat sounds good. I have read that Cameron Hanes and others are eating peanut butter and bacon sandwiches, but I have not tried that combo yet. I found a couple high calorie recipes online for making your own bars as well. I might try a few and see which ones taste better and have the highest calories. One of the recipes states it has 402 calories per bar, which is exactly what I’m looking for. I don’t know how much they weigh or what they taste like yet. Once I try making them I will weigh them and let everyone know how they taste. If they work I will post the recipe as well. Thanks for all the input so far.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
brekfast i usually have something fast like single packaged crawls (2), pop tart etc. Snacks/lunch include granola bars, nature valley bars, gold fish, beef jerky, peanut butter crackers. I usually for lunch/snack will have a gatorade (plastic water bottle with gartorade powder mix) and some sort of energy gel or liquid. Dinner is mountain house.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
brekfast i usually have something fast like single packaged crawls (2), pop tart etc. Snacks/lunch include granola bars, nature valley bars, gold fish, beef jerky, peanut butter crackers. I usually for lunch/snack will have a gatorade (plastic water bottle with gartorade powder mix) and some sort of energy gel or liquid. Dinner is mountain house.
Gatorade powder mix does sound good after a hard day. I will have to add this to my list. I use EmergenC, but Gatorade sounds refreshing.

Rob

Feb 21, 2011
Iowa
I have been using the Cliff Builders bar in peanut butter and like them, all the other flavors are bad. I also like to take the peanut butter and bacon sandwich. I usually make the sandwich then partially freeze it so it doesn't smash too much when I vacuum pack it.

Deadeye

Feb 21, 2011
Oatmeal for breakfast that I pre-mix in protein powder to get a little more out of my lightweight breakfast. Snacks, usually Larabars, Cliff bars, Wilderness Athlete bars, and a homemade trailmix, with added jerky. Lunch, peanut butter, bacon and honey sandwiches...Cameron Hanes style!!! Usually a mix between a bagel version and a wheat bread version. Dinner, Mountain House meals, look for the ones with a good combo of protein.

Mtnrchr

Mar 1, 2011
Evergreen, CO
Another good lunch idea I've tried out this year is the individual tuna packs already mixed with relish and mayo. Wheat thin crackers to scoop it up with. They take up very little room in a pack.
something to add about the gatorade or other drink mix, don't put them in your bladder. The sugar molds in the tube and is a major pain to clean out.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
Gatorade powder mix does sound good after a hard day. I will have to add this to my list. I use EmergenC, but Gatorade sounds refreshing.
I never did the EmergenC but I know of guy's that do. The gatorade just taste better and as long as you leave it watered down just a tad it really makes a HUGE difference during a hard day of walking around. Also like was already stated, don't put it in your bladder it could lead to excess mold growth. Best to use a plastic water bottle or something similar.

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
Good post... I like using a rinsed out mountain house pouch for my instant oatmeal and I fold it up and reuse it after rinsing out again... Also like carnation hot cocoa powdered mix with a little hot water... Lifts the spirits... Mix it up with a pouch of spam with dinner and that tastes really good too...

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
Used mountain house bag's make good oatmeal bowls and Carnation hot choclate powdered mix makes for a good spirit lifter when it's cold n wet out! I also like pouch spam for something a little different to mix it up!

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
I used the Cliff Shot Blocks in a recent bike race in which I was riding with the owner/ founder of Cliff Bar for most of the way. They are tasty and convenient, but not as good as GU pouches when it comes to keeping your carb count up. Other than that, I eat about the same things as you listed. Cinnamon raisin bagels are good, they are dense and hold quite a few nutrients. Nuts are good for protein. Cooked rice in bags is light, carries a lot of carbs, and fills you up since it swells in your stomach.

If your going to bring in powdered anything for drinking, I think its best to use a recovery type drink like Nuun. I use it after long bike training workouts and it really does help you recover.

Last edited: