2022 Fishing thread

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Just got back from my Ontario fly-in fishing trip....here's the report and pics.
Four of us flew 85 miles north of Armstrong to an outpost cabin on a 10,000 acre lake for an 8 day outing. Two of the guys I was with had been there the week before and had hit the brook trout run in the river, that was now done.....but one of our guys got a 22" brookie in a bay while walleye fishing (photo below).
The walleye fishing was the best ever....we ate fish 4X...photo of an uncooked platter, and a plate with fish, cheesy hash browns, beans, cole slaw, drink of choice. I fought with some high winds on several days while running the motor, but still caught 219 walleye, and 39 northern pike. I was by far the laggard on the fish count.DSCN0575.JPGDSCN0576.JPG
The biggest northern was 37", and walleye 27". Average walleye was 19" {no shit!!!). On the last day we decided to keep some slot size (28") northerns to take home with the four walleyes each that we were allowed. (photo of them laid out before cleaning).
The guy in the other boat had a close encounter with a moose and a wolf, but our boat won the exotic animal award with a wolverine. The photo of a beaver lodge has the wolverine on top trying to dig his way into it. The beaver had evacuated and was out in the lake giving the stink eye to the intruder.
On the return flight, there were four DSCN0577.JPGDSCN0586.JPGDSCN0584.JPGguys from a different camp. All were in their late 70s, except for the guy who was 84. It looks like this is something that I can look forward to doing as long as my finances hold out....even after I'm done climbing mountains.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Sounds like a great trip. I can fish all year here in Arkansas to catch just a few walleye. That part of Canada offers some fantastic fishing. When all this boarder mess clears up I plan to go. My main problem is I still do not have a passport. Only two reasons to get one Africa and Canada. I have little desire to go any where else.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Just got back from my Ontario fly-in fishing trip....here's the report and pics.
Four of us flew 85 miles north of Armstrong to an outpost cabin on a 10,000 acre lake for an 8 day outing. Two of the guys I was with had been there the week before and had hit the brook trout run in the river, that was now done.....but one of our guys got a 22" brookie in a bay while walleye fishing (photo below).
The walleye fishing was the best ever....we ate fish 4X...photo of an uncooked platter, and a plate with fish, cheesy hash browns, beans, cole slaw, drink of choice. I fought with some high winds on several days while running the motor, but still caught 219 walleye, and 39 northern pike. I was by far the laggard on the fish count.View attachment 40420View attachment 40421
The biggest northern was 37", and walleye 27". Average walleye was 19" {no shit!!!). On the last day we decided to keep some slot size (28") northerns to take home with the four walleyes each that we were allowed. (photo of them laid out before cleaning).
The guy in the other boat had a close encounter with a moose and a wolf, but our boat won the exotic animal award with a wolverine. The photo of a beaver lodge has the wolverine on top trying to dig his way into it. The beaver had evacuated and was out in the lake giving the stink eye to the intruder.
On the return flight, there were four View attachment 40422View attachment 40423View attachment 40424guys from a different camp. All were in their late 70s, except for the guy who was 84. It looks like this is something that I can look forward to doing as long as my finances hold out....even after I'm done climbing mountains.
Sounds amazing and like a ton of fun

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Got out yesterday on fl east coast. Couple lanes, trigger, yellow grunt in box. Back in water, cuda, red snapper on trolling lure, red snapper on bottom stuff, 27 inch cobia. Almosts were 50#-class king and 36-40 inch cobia. King came unglued, line broke on cobia. Hard to switch from hammered tight drag to play em out drag that quickly - cobia ate a small snapper at boat…

E6BB0996-B31F-45C4-AEBA-0304C7D49261.jpeg

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
We caught 170 crappie overt the 4th of July weekend. I didn't get to take a single picture. The yellowjackets are so bad at camp this year that we cant lay the fish out for a good photo. Must be a big nest of them pretty close.

Should have taken a cooler picture but those don't really show much.

We caught a lot of above average sized fish this year year as well. No true monsters but a LOT of fish that broke the 12" mark for sure. We forgot the net one night and snapped one off trying to get it over the rail that was in my eyes some kind of potential lake record.....My Father-in-law wasn't very happy about it. lol

It was one of, if not the biggest one, I have ever seen come out of the lake (momentarily, lol) for sure.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Just got back from a gulf fishing trip with the extended family. We had a great time and caught around a dozen different species of fish. Our number one target was sharks. My youngest loves fishing for them and several in our group had never caught one before this trip.

We caught a pile of gafftopsail catfish. This was a triple the kids got to end one evening off the pier we were staying by.

We also caught quite a few bonnet head sharks from the pier. They put up one heck of a fight!
40807 40808

We also caught around 100 sea trout off the pier. Most were too small to keep but we did manage a few keepers.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
We did do one day of guided fishing to target big sharks from the beach. It was a very cool experience and I highly recommend SharkaBrah fishing if anyone wants to experience something like this. It was truly amazing.

Family pic before putting lines out - the beach is beautiful at Pardre this time of year.

The guides take large baits out 600 - 1000 yards through the surf using jet skis. Our main bait was a 9 pound piece of sting ray on our long rod and then smaller 1-2 pound pieces on the short rods.

About 2 hours into our trip, we hooked up. It was an incredible fight that took so long everyone in our group was able to take turns on the rod to the point they were tired.

9' 8" Tiger Shark - estimated weight around 500 pounds

We called it quits after getting him in and releasing him. We were all honestly spent from the fight.