Arizona Mule Deer 20A

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
I think I may have just drawn Arizona Unit 20A for mule deer in late October. I'm kind of discouraged and think I may have just wasted my money. . . It sounds like its a lot tougher hunt than I thought and may not be worth my time. Any thoughts? Should I ditch the tag? I bought Point Guard but I only had 1 point. I live and hunt in Oregon, have limited time and maybe have an extra week to hunt that I could spend on Arizona. . but I could just hunt General Deer in Oregon and kill a buck easier. . and save money on gas. Any advise at all from someone that has knowledge would be helpful.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Curious what you were thinking when you applied for this particular hunt? What has change? A lot of guys would love to have a deer tag in Arizona, me included….

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. I have no personal knowledge of this unit but perhaps someone else will come along who does.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I agree, what were you thinking when you applied? Arizona is a state that you can draw a tag with 0 points or 20, it all depends on how lucky you are. I drew a second coues deer tag for a unit that I drew the year before with 9 points, the second year all I had was a single loyalty point.

When it comes down to it you are going to have to decided if you want to go on this hunt or not. There may be some that have been in the unit but don't count on it.

In the future if you are unsure if you really want a tag or not just purchase a point, then you don't have to worry about the draws.

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Curious what you were thinking when you applied for this particular hunt? What has change? A lot of guys would love to have a deer tag in Arizona, me included….

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. I have no personal knowledge of this unit but perhaps someone else will come along who does.
That's a good point. I don't have tons of time to research units. It seemed like a good unit but I just talked to someone yesterday that gave me a pretty horrible prognosis for that area. Also, with the different states' draw deadlines coming at different times my schedule and hunts that I have lined up look a lot different. Make sense? Not saying I'm not going to go. It just looks like it will take a considerable amount of time researching/hunting and luck to have any chance of success.

Last edited:

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
I agree, what were you thinking when you applied? Arizona is a state that you can draw a tag with 0 points or 20, it all depends on how lucky you are. I drew a second coues deer tag for a unit that I drew the year before with 9 points, the second year all I had was a single loyalty point.

When it comes down to it you are going to have to decided if you want to go on this hunt or not. There may be some that have been in the unit but don't count on it.

In the future if you are unsure if you really want a tag or not just purchase a point, then you don't have to worry about the draws.
Yes, that should have been my specific question to avoid the scoldings and furrowed brows. "Is there any one that has been in Arizona Unit 20A to hunt mule deer in late October?".

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Western (and even Eastern) big game tags are getting harder and harder to draw every year. I saw your posts on Hunttalk also. I would go. Don’t delay.

Life is short. The world is big. Just go hunt.
I've got a lot of encouragement along these lines. It's much appreciated. . and I'd say that my attitude is shifting more positively toward going.

Reactions: Bonecollector

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Just from my point of view, I am standing in unit 21...
NO Water, 20 year MEGA drought--Run Forrest Run.
I am not even hunting OTC this year. 💥

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
That's a good point. I don't have tons of time to research units. It seemed like a good unit but I just talked to someone yesterday that gave me a pretty horrible prognosis for that area. Also, with the different states' draw deadlines coming at different times my schedule and hunts that I have lined up look a lot different. Make sense? Not saying I'm not going to go. It just looks like it will take a considerable amount of time researching/hunting and luck to have any chance of success.
most any unit anywhere you will find someone who says it sucks. usually because they themselves had no luck. often due to laziness or incomitance.

you got the tag. go do the best you can with it. years from now the bucks you spend won't much matter anymore and you may just get some great memories from the experience.

besides, when successful, a( and even when eating tag soup). a tough hunt brings way more satisfaction than any easy one

good luck to you.

Reactions: benjblt

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Who is afraid of fire? Are You? Where are you from? :cautious:
I once got caught with a fire some fool hunter started between me and my rig. smoke was so thick I wasn't sure which way to go to avoid it. while I wouldn't exactly say I was scared, it shore enough caused me some concern. I had killed a deer and was dressing it out when fire started. I had to leave half the deer till morning. when I returned the next day that fire had swept through within about 300 yards of where I had hung my deer.

Reactions: benjblt