Fishing Ontario

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I posted some photos in the fishing thread (Back at the Tailgate). Had a great trip to a drive up resort, and will be flying out on Friday for a fly-in trip. The border crossing was quick and easy....just do the paperwork ahead of time.

Reactions: Bonecollector

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I really miss our trips to Ontario. We have also done lodges that we can drive too. Would love to do a fly in trip sometime.

I assume the outfitter supplies propane to cook with?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I really miss our trips to Ontario. We have also done lodges that we can drive too. Would love to do a fly in trip sometime.

I assume the outfitter supplies propane to cook with?
You can do different types of fly-in trips; from a simple drop off at a camping spot with a boat, you supply everything else, to:
This outfitter (Thunderhook) has a full services camp that includes camp staff, meals, and guides if you want them. Most of the camps are "outpost camps" that are usually the only camp on the lake. These had nice cabins, boats, motors, gas, hot showers, flush toilets, gas stoves, real beds, etc. You have to supply your own bait, and since you can't bring that into Canada you will have to make prior arrangements with a supplier. We went through 50 dozen minnows and 2 lbs. of leeches. At the end of the last fishing day, all we had left was 4 leeches.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Who got the loan to pay for 50 dozen? :) i think they were $7 per dozen last trip i had.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Walleyes loved them live minnows. Lord have mercy, we lit them up. Lol

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Our bait bill ran us about $500; split 4 ways. We also bring a modified landing net to catch minnows, but you can't rely on it. This past week, there were only tiny minnows off the dock, and too much wind & waves to spot them later on. A minnow trap would be a better option, but is also illegal. Worms work well also, and are a much cheaper option. Later in the summer, minnows don't survive as well for long, so after a few days we end up using leeched or worms. You can certainly catch fish without live bait, but not nearly as consistantly.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Our bait bill ran us about $500; split 4 ways. We also bring a modified landing net to catch minnows, but you can't rely on it. This past week, there were only tiny minnows off the dock, and too much wind & waves to spot them later on. A minnow trap would be a better option, but is also illegal. Worms work well also, and are a much cheaper option. Later in the summer, minnows don't survive as well for long, so after a few days we end up using leeched or worms. You can certainly catch fish without live bait, but not nearly as consistantly.
we bought our minnows everyday from a lodge located on the lake. they have them flown in every morning by plane. Once we saw the plane land on the lake; it was our queue to start heading to the lodge to get bait. we always put the minnows in minnow buckets that you throw out of the boat so they are getting fresh water while you have the boat stopped. Just make sure you pull the bucket back in before you take off.....speaking from experience.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Just so you know, it’s also illegal for Americans to dipnet or use any other method to capture bait in Ontario. Only Canadians have that privilege

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I was aware of that, and the fishing partners only use it as a last resort.
I’ve been tempted to do the same thing but Canada knows how to punish violators. If I absolutely need more bait, I can be to the nearest town and back in about 2 hours

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I’ve been tempted to do the same thing but Canada knows how to punish violators. If I absolutely need more bait, I can be to the nearest town and back in about 2 hours
I get that, but on a fly-in trip that option is out. But, in over 50 Canada fishing/canoeing trips I haven't ever used self trapped minnows other than what was coughed up by a fish I had caught. Worms are another matter.
When our group goes to a drive-up resort, or DIY, we are very strict that everyone follow the rules......even the one about "NO BEER IN THR BOAT."