D14 bucks

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Thought I should start a thread on d-14 bucks since I have two tags and will post pictures of bucks as we take them this year. Here is a picture of myself, my wifey, and my buddy, with some D14 bucks we took a few years ago on a very rainy day, a 2x2, 4x3, and a 4x4 respectfully. Sorry if the picture is bad, but took a photo of a photo with my cell phone. Wish I had used a better camera on this day and yes I shot the scrub, hahahaha. I let my wife take the 4x3!!

Suzanne, Nick, snd Tim with D14 bucks.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ikeepitcold

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Yea HuntWYODon I luv hunting the burns. Here are two more bucks we took on a cold rainy day in D14, this time I shot the bigger buck! My buddy did not have good rain gear and froze his but off. Thats why the picture is so shaky.....he was trembling, lol. The quad in picture was the worst Honda Foreman I ever owned, kept breaking down on me. I finally traded it in for a Yamaha Griz...

D14 Bucks.jpg

Last edited:

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Here is my last year's D14 buck (2011 season). My buddy shot the wide 3x2, we saw several legal bucks this morning. When I hunt my local mts I'll shoot the first legal buck I see to fill the freezer. I then start trophy hunting or wait till last week to fill second tag.

Nick and Joe.jpg

Last edited:

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Here is a freak 5x4 buck we took in D14 a few years back. The right side antler with the 5 weird points did not come out in photo. The deer was ugly when he was shot and came out uglier after I mounted it! lol sorry...

D14 San Berdoo buck.jpg

Last edited:

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Here I am with my nephews first D14 buck, a 4x3. This buck was in a herd with several giant bucks, my nephew just pointed his rifle and shot, dropping one of the smaller bucks.....I asked him why he didn't shoot the biggest one. He replied, "Unkle, I was shaking so bad, I shot soon as I saw the first legal one in my scope!"

Nick and Frankie D14 buck.jpg

Last edited:

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Here I am with my nephews first D14 buck, a 4x3. This buck was in a heard with several other giant bucks, my nephew just picked one and shot.....I asked him why he didn't shoot the biggest one. He replied, "Unkle, I was shaking so bad, I shot soon as I saw the first legal one in my scope!"

View attachment 3796
All nice bucks for D14 or Calif. for that matter ! I had a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 . It was awesome. Tons of power and never had a problem with it and I beat the heck out of it in Ca.,Az.,Ut. and Wy. for 5 yrs. until I rolled it down a mtn. in Wy. and totaled it. I got a Polaris 800 Razor after that, camo of couse. No problems with it so far either. Yeah, there a lot of burns lately in San Berdoo Mtns. ! Going to be some better hunting I think. Like you, I always liked hunting the last week of the season and especially the last 3 days and if lucky get a snow storm or heavy rain. Then they come out like flies when it clears up. Did you ever hunt D14 back when it was all D11, both sides of 10 frwy ? It used to stay open until after Thanksgiving. Rut time ! They changed that probably because too many bucks getting shot.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Yea HuntWYODon I luv hunting the burns. Here are two more bucks we took on a cold rainy day in D14, this time I shot the bigger buck! My buddy did not have good rain gear and froze his but off. Thats why the picture is so shaky.....he was trembling, lol. The quad in picture was the worst Honda Foreman I ever owned, kept breaking down on me. I finally traded it in for a Yamaha Griz...

View attachment 3793
look at the mass on that one, I always wonder why they fork so big without turning into 3x3s or 4x4s some times?

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Very nice bucks Bigshot! Anyone that puts alot of time in to D-14 like we do knows those bucks are nice ones for that zone.
Thanks Muleys 24/7, yea most hunters will say any buck in D14 is a trophy!! You'll be surprised how many local 2x2s and 3x3s I mount for friends and family every year!! I have learned that our deer are built more like the northern Blacktails. Most take a blacktail manikin form when mounting (Taxidermy), and with blacktail size antlers to match and like blacktails, they have the big 2x2 and 3x3 gene.

Last edited:

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Bigshot, nice pics and thanks for sharing, I need to go with you so I can have a good pic to post! I havn't taken one up there in a few years now, I passed on a couple because I wanted something better than a forky. I get my meat bucks from D-16, I think they taste better from down there.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Bigshot, nice pics and thanks for sharing, I need to go with you so I can have a good pic to post! I havn't taken one up there in a few years now, I passed on a couple because I wanted something better than a forky. I get my meat bucks from D-16, I think they taste better from down there.
Hey Muleys, I sent you a PM. Here is a 4x3 D14 buck my buddies took . The forth point on the right antler is hard to see.

Tim and Six toes with D14 Buck.jpg

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
I have a great butcher that makes hotdogs and stuffs them with cheese and Jalapeno located in Claremont, CA. Send me a PM, if anyone wants his info.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I have a great butcher that makes hotdogs and stuffs them with cheese and Jalapeno located in Claremont, CA. Send me a PM, if anyone wants his info.
I worked at Claremont Colleges for 7 yrs.
I bought a grinder with the sausage attachment and for the last two yrs. have tried making different types of sausages. You just gave me another recipe ! I'm no good at feeding the sausage as it's getting stuffed. I always break it or whatever. The girlfriend is good at it though. Go figure ???