Tikka or Weatherby or browning.

coach11569

Dec 28, 2021
About to purchase a new deer hunting rifle soon and trying to decide between a few prospects. The 3 that have my attention and are in my price range are the
1. Tikka tx3 stainless
2. Weatherby Vanguard burnt bronze
3. Browning hells canyon speed

Gun Will be more than likely in 308. Shots are no further than 300yards.
Sort of learning towards the tikka, but heard the recoil is a little sharp even in the 308 for some reason. The vanguard is a little on the heavy side, but not too bad. Have no experience at all with that gun and know of no one with one. The browning is a little more expensive than the others by a few hundred bucks. (Actually just found a used one in new condition at a great price, but it's in 6.5 PRC)
Was wondering if anyone has experience with the above mentioned guns and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I have a Tikka T3 SL stainless in 7RM. I also have a Browning HCS in 300WM. While I like both rifles I have become fond of the Tikka. Both are very accurate and the weight difference is negligible. The Tikka just seems to fit me and for some reason seems to be lighter to carry. The Tikka is much smoother cycling the bolt although I like the shorter throw on the Browning. I will say the Tikka does seem to kick a bit more even with the lesser cartridge. You can’t go wrong with either but if I had it to do over i would own the 300WM in a Tikka SL. I have no experience with the Weatherby.

Reactions: coach11569

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Browning. They never let me down. My buddy has the speed in 300wsm. It’s super accurate too.

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I dont have exactly those models but own examples of all three. Im short at 5'8". The tikka and browning fit me better than the vanguard. It would be almost a toss up between the tikka and browning but i prefer brownings tang safety over tikkas.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have the Tikka stainless "Super Lite". This was a Cabela's special, 5# 8 oz. I got mine in 30-06 and have no complaints on the recoil, tho the pad is quite hard. My bro-in-law got his in 300 WSM and complained of the recoil, so he had the barrel ported and upgraded the recoil pad.
I did change out to a Decelerator pad later, and it did make a difference. It is cheap and easy to do yourself, but I doubt that 308 will give you a problem from the recoil.
Both of our rifles are absolute dingers and shoot better than we are capable of. They are also a joy to pack around the mountains.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I have a Tikka T3 SL stainless in 7RM. I also have a Browning HCS in 300WM. While I like both rifles I have become fond of the Tikka. Both are very accurate and the weight difference is negligible. The Tikka just seems to fit me and for some reason seems to be lighter to carry. The Tikka is much smoother cycling the bolt although I like the shorter throw on the Browning. I will say the Tikka does seem to kick a bit more even with the lesser cartridge. You can’t go wrong with either but if I had it to do over i would own the 300WM in a Tikka SL. I have no experience with the Weatherby.
I just bought the Tikka 300WM but having difficulty with finding ammo

• Sad
Reactions: memtb

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I believe the wby and tikka will be a long action chambering your short action cartridge the 308....

I'd probably lean towards the browning if it's built on a short action... or at least 1 factor to add to the decision.

I have a wby with a .243win built on a long action and it just bugs me, may re-barrel it one day. come out with that 7mm RPM already weatherby! :)

good luck, keep us posted!

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I know!!!!
I shoot Barnes Vor-Tx TTSX in 165 grain. Haven’t seen any for sale in over a year. I’m running low.
[/QUOTE
I have a Tikka T3 SL stainless in 7RM. I also have a Browning HCS in 300WM. While I like both rifles I have become fond of the Tikka. Both are very accurate and the weight difference is negligible. The Tikka just seems to fit me and for some reason seems to be lighter to carry. The Tikka is much smoother cycling the bolt although I like the shorter throw on the Browning. I will say the Tikka does seem to kick a bit more even with the lesser cartridge. You can’t go wrong with either but if I had it to do over I would own the 300WM in a Tikka SL. I have no experience with the Weatherby.
I will add that I cleaned both rifles today and remembered that although the Browning is Cerakoted it is not stainless. Don’t know if that would make any difference to your decision. BTW the Tikka stainless was much easier to clean.

Reactions: memtb

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I believe the wby and tikka will be a long action chambering your short action cartridge the 308....

I'd probably lean towards the browning if it's built on a short action... or at least 1 factor to add to the decision.

I have a wby with a .243win built on a long action and it just bugs me, may re-barrel it one day. come out with that 7mm RPM already weatherby! :)

good luck, keep us posted!
7mm RPM........
do you have some insider info for this cartridge or just a good potential wildcat????

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
7mm RPM........
do you have some insider info for this cartridge or just a good potential wildcat????
Just is the version I wish they made....although not sure they really ever will, I'm not sure how much more powder it'll hold than the 280AI but is should definitely be more...

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I know!!!!
I shoot Barnes Vor-Tx TTSX in 165 grain. Haven’t seen any for sale in over a year. I’m running low.
You like those?
I've always shot 180gr in my .300wm but that's from a decade or 2 ago.... was recently thinking a165 tsx or similar might be pretty nice option.... over the 180...

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Of the three listed I have the most experience with the Vangaurd. Mine has served me well for years and it is a tack driver.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
You like those?
I've always shot 180gr in my .300wm but that's from a decade or 2 ago.... was recently thinking a165 tsx or similar might be pretty nice option.... over the 180...
I mainly hunt Whitetails and the 165 was my first ammunition to shoot through it. They are sub MOA at 3160 fps. Figured I would just leave well enough alone. The 26” barrel squeezes the speed a little more than Barnes claims. My son and a guy I work with shoot the same ammunition out of the same rifle. We have all been satisfied with results on game.

Reactions: HuskyMusky