General season

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Well.....I missed out yet again on a general season tag!!! Crazy how fast them things sell out. I was busy at work and didn’t have time to sit on the web and wait from the get go. Guess I’ll be banking on the controllers hunt apps!

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Ha, might have to happen! I see there’s still a few tags left for some units. Debating on buying one and just going for it, never been in them units but oh well

Reactions: kidoggy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Kinda unrelated but that above comment reminds me of a conversation I saw on a GA hunting forum the other day.

This guy was complaining about the rising hunt prices due to loosing his lease to someone willing to pay more. So the guys said he was going to do what his buddy was doing. "Hunt whatever, wherever and whenever he wanted to hunt."

He said that his friend had taken this stance years ago and even though he had been busted several times for trespassing and poaching, the fines were 10% of what his lease fees would have been over the course of his lifetime. So he will continue to do that. "because it was a bargain"...

I dont condone this and nor would I ever do it, but I wonder how long it will be before people just say the heck with it and start poaching like this guy if the state keep hiking prices up and guides and outfitters keep going up and up and up.

$9500 for a New Mexico 5 day guided archery hunt. And that was on sale the other day lol

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Kinda unrelated but that above comment reminds me of a conversation I saw on a GA hunting forum the other day.

This guy was complaining about the rising hunt prices due to loosing his lease to someone willing to pay more. So the guys said he was going to do what his buddy was doing. "Hunt whatever, wherever and whenever he wanted to hunt."

He said that his friend had taken this stance years ago and even though he had been busted several times for trespassing and poaching, the fines were 10% of what his lease fees would have been over the course of his lifetime. So he will continue to do that. "because it was a bargain"...

I dont condone this and nor would I ever do it, but I wonder how long it will be before people just say the heck with it and start poaching like this guy if the state keep hiking prices up and guides and outfitters keep going up and up and up.

$9500 for a New Mexico 5 day guided archery hunt. And that was on sale the other day lol
Yeah, prices are getting pretty high up....especially on the guided end. I just seen a brown bear hunt outfit that by 2025, the bear hunt will be $50,000. That’s just insane, but apparently people are still willing to pay it if they’re getting it!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Because they capped it to spread pressure they are going to have to turn it into a random draw. There is no way that what they have is sustainable.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

yeah. there's a scary but realistic thought!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Yeah, prices are getting pretty high up....especially on the guided end. I just seen a brown bear hunt outfit that by 2025, the bear hunt will be $50,000. That’s just insane, but apparently people are still willing to pay it if they’re getting it!
there is no limit to what people will pay for pleasure .

especially people who call endless hours of pain and suffering , pleasure. lol.

but I believe that is the future.

on the other hand , I expect interest in hunting will fall dramatically with the younger , I want it now ,generations .
while I know it is not true of them all , it has been my experience that the majority of youngsters love hunting until they have to start footing the bill for it . then not so much.
so while I doubt prices will ever come down, could be the craziness might subside a bit.
time will tell I recon.

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
At the start of 2021 I though we had about two years of craziness left. We may see something interesting when these checks for dependents take tax credits away. A LOT of people are going to owe money that jumped in the western big game market in the last few years IMO. We will see if that has an effect on numbers, but I doubt it for the next few years.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
It’s definitely been a crazy couple years, hunting world and general world! Inflation on all ends is definitely exceeding it on the salary end, at least in my neck of the woods. It’s really unfortunate that the hunting end is turning into such a high dollar, rich mans game. Now, what was a working mans dream hunt, is turning into an unattainable dream! Maybe somewhere down the line, everything will balance back out and we can all do what we love without the bank breaking price tag. But on the other hand, people are still paying these prices; so therefore, why would there be a price drop??? And I’m not doggin on outfitters, they’re trying to run a business too. And I’m not doggin on the states with their prices for tags.....it’s just a crappy situation for a lot of guys that want to hunt